Runs to Alaska

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
Haven't found too much info on this subject so far but figured it can't hurt to ask on here. I have heard that expedite carriers do run up to Alaska at times and being that I am from there originally that peaked my interest. We have since moved and now reside in the lower 48 but the thought of running up there in the summer sounds like a blast. Has anyone on here made that run and if so how does the pay work out? I would imagine that you would almost have to include d/h pay back to the lower 48 in the run as not much freight goes back down. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, then of what use was the rule?"

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a CV driver I've been offered an Alaska run several times. Each time something prevented me from taking the run. Every time they offered, it was paid DH back to Seattle only. Basically the closest city in the lower 48.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Haven't found too much info on this subject so far but figured it can't hurt to ask on here. I have heard that expedite carriers do run up to Alaska at times and being that I am from there originally that peaked my interest. We have since moved and now reside in the lower 48 but the thought of running up there in the summer sounds like a blast. Has anyone on here made that run and if so how does the pay work out? I would imagine that you would almost have to include d/h pay back to the lower 48 in the run as not much freight goes back down. Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

We ran one load to Alaska, it was in Nov. It paid VERY good money including all the DH. We had Thanksgiving "Dinner" in a "diner" in the Yukon. We were the only customers in the place. The owner sat and ate with us. We had caribou burgers and fries.

Would love to do one more, a "summer" trip. Want to be there when the salmon are running. Need enough advanced warning to get home first to get my salmon gear. I don't carry that on the truck. Just normal fishing stuff. ;)

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Ran it once as well, summer trip. Paid good and good money to d/h back to Seattle. We enjoyed it and were able to visit an old college buddy who loaded us up with 20 lbs. of fresh salmon to take home with us.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
I was offered one from Houston a while ago. Dispatch and I came up with a figure of $8,700 with deadhead back to the Midwest somewhere, I forget. They called me back about an hour later saying the customer called and said they were gonna put the load on a plane for $1,000. I knew then that something was wrong somewhere. It would have cost me $1,000 for fuel in the sprinter so something was wrong with the story. I think dispatch wanted to accommodate the customer with a bid but didn't really expect them to accept the price. Would have been a great adventure. My only concern was breaking down in Canada or Alaska. I expect that would have been a nightmare.

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
I appreciate all the feedback guys. Hopefully we can get up there this summer.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Basically if your really lucky you might get an offer to there once or possibly twice in a
Expedite career that spans a decade. Probably more normal to never get that offer at all

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

garylentz

Rookie Expediter
Roberts express offered me that in 1998 5500 miles paid 7100 dh back 1700 miles to washington did not take it because we ran the ca to wa a lot many times dh back to ca