Running team in a cargo van

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I know there's a few of you out there running teams in a van, mostly couples, and I'm wondering if you see a big difference in load offers. I have a friend that would like to get into expediting and I'm thinking about letting him ride with me for a few months at least so he can decide if it's something he likes and also benefit from my experience.

I realize the money won't be all to great for a non-household team but he realizes that and this is more to show him the ropes and help him build up a "nest egg" so he will be in better shape once he hits it on his own.

I've been running for a few brokers and doing a lot of out and back stuff from here in Louisville. Having the UPS hub here makes it profitable enough for the deadhead miles. For this venture I would be looking to run for one carrier so that leads to my second question. Are there carriers that would be able to utilize a team in a cargo van? Having the 2 of us I would like to get some pretty long hauls and keep the wheels turning as much as possible.

As always, thanks for the advice. You all are a wealth of knowledge in the expediting world!

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Would have to be pretty good friends to pull off a team operation in a CV... I do "team" runs solo on a regular basis.... I get $1.50 a mile plus FSC on those.... at least 2-3 times a month. I know when Panther farms out work to one of my vendors they always request a team and they pay handsomely for it... although the loads almost always get run by a single driver.

Volume wise.... its hit or miss.

fired at you from my Droideka

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe it is better in a sprinter. We have been underused all year.danthewolf runs wee inhis sprinter teaming.

Again posted from my color nook.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Maybe it is better in a sprinter. We have been underused all year.danthewolf runs wee inhis sprinter teaming.

Again posted from my color nook.

So Jack are you saying, You and Gracie, are not getting the sprinter type freight to fit in your HCV? Or is your carrier not keeping you busy enough? Sounds like from reading the different posts in the different sections here on EO some carriers have corporate accounts that specifically require a sprinter/cube truck for the height of the freight. But this also tells me that if E-1 is not keeping Jack & Gracie's HCV busy, THERE is still business out there for the CARGO VAN!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Teaming in a cargo van is tooooo close for me. Now, that
Sprinter thing, I hve been to Laredo several times now and those folks say they dont carry but one or two pallets at the most and many have said they could do most of their runs in a cargo van, but of course the majority of the drivers in sprinters are not buying their rides , so they dont really have a dog in this hunt, they are just drivers, thats it.:D Well that was the feed back I received from the sprinter drivers.