Running overloaded

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
That's been going on for some time! Trying to pack on as much as possible. People dont won't to pay for quality and doing the right thing!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
§390.6 of the FMCSR states, in part:

(a) Prohibition. (1) a motor carrier, shipper, receiver, or transportation intermediary, including their respective agents, officers or representatives may not coerce a driver of a commercial motor vehicle to operate such vehicle in violation of…[numerous safety regulations, including overloading a vehicle]

If you believe were coerced to violate a safety regulation. You may file a written complaint under §386.12(e). The complaint must be filed with the National Consumer Complaint Database at http//nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov or with any DOT Division Administrator.

In my opinion, it does not make sense to complain about adverse broker or carrier actions on a public forum such as EO unless a driver is willing to take the next step to file a formal complaint and put a stop to these illegal actions or requests. We all need to do our part to clean up this industry when we have knowledge of illegal activity. As the old saying goes, “If you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem.”

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And with the driver and truck shortage being what it is, you can expect more and more shippers to try and load heavy. I don't think it will be as prevalent in expediting, but there are simply not enough trucks and drivers to haul the freight these days, so shippers are trying to load as much as they can on fewer trucks.

Reactions: DollarSign

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can see brokers selling a straight truck load and trying to get a Sprinter to take it for a few cents extra over a Sprinter rate.
Cha Ching !!!!

The line between a van and a straight is only blurred by 4-6 pallet Sprinters.

Last edited:
Reactions: DollarSign

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you run over loaded , and have a new unit it voids warranty if they can prove you were over loaded.
infers with breaking and stopping, handling of unit. other things that might happen break springs, more cost for break downs. couple of times shipping people would say it's only 500 pounds . told them get bigger truck, call dot
then when I was with Fedexcc, they had notes to watch this shipper as would try to over load the units

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I can see brokers selling a straight truck load and trying to get a Sprinter to take it for a few cents extra over a Sprinter rate.
Cha Ching !!!!

You got shippers and or consignee wanting vans to 3500 to 4K. You also have some company's wanting vans to haul 3500lb+.

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Every time a shipper or broker gets 3500/4000 into a van, the closer it gets to being the norm.
Seriously, how often do people get caught ?
They should, they don’t.
Right now there’s enough freight for everyone.
My fear would be the next slowdown.
Who’ll get loaded then ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It’s a catch 22.
We want the unscrupulous to be caught, but don’t watch us Honest folks.
Kind of similar to the ELD argument.
I always ran legal, but can’t function on an ELD.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cha Ching !!!!

There's enough money in some of those loads to be split between 2 vans.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app