Running Diesel Engine at Idle

omalljd

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am new to the expediting business. I have a Ford E-350 Diesel B unit. I have made a bunk area directly behind the seats seperated from the cargo area. I have been told that I can let my diesel engine run as long as I want while I am parked or sleeping in my bunk. My question is will it hurt to run the air or the heat while the engine is running for extended periods of time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this subject. I am not very familiar with diesel engines.

I have been reading the different messages and many of them are very negative. I understand that this industry has its ups and downs. I have 4 quotes that I live by and I thought I would share them.

"In life what sometimes appears to be the end is really a new beginning."

"In times of change, there is no incentive so great, and no medicine so powerful as the hope for a better tomorrow."

"The race goes not always to the swift...but to those who keep on running."

"It's easier to go down the mountain than up, but the view is best from the top."

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The E-350 van has the International built T444e engine, which is a great little V8 diesel. The only negative effect extended idling can have on a diesel is carbon buildup on the injector ends and in the cumbustion chamber. This really won't be a problem though, as just about all of it gets burned off when the engine gets ran up to speed on the highway again. Change your oil frequently, make sure the coolant level is where it should be and that the engine is running at the right temperature, and change your fuel filter on a regular basis and you will be amazed at how long this nifty little diesel will last you regardless of how much you idle it.

Bluesman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Below is a link to a site dedicated to the Power Stroke diesel. A wealth of information. Go to forums on the left side of the home page. They even have a forum for E-series vans! And a very handy search feature.
From what I've read when sitting for extended periods the engine needs to come up from idle,(something about lubricating the cylinder walls). Don't remember for sure. I don't have a throttle so I picked up one of those adjustable fast idle rods at a truck stop that apply pressure on the pedal and hook to the lower dash. Worked great for me. Anyway, check out and bookmark the following website.

http://www.ford-diesel.com/

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, that is one thing I forgot to mention. It is a good idea to bump up any diesel's idle to 1000-1200 RPM during extended idling. I myself am guilty of being one who doesn't do this because I hate the noise. I will lock my electric engine fan on to let the oil pressure run a bit higher though.

G

Never owned an Econoline, but we do have an International 4700 with a DT-466 which is the big brother to your engine. Anyhow, International says to run the idle up to 1250 RPM in cold weather to keep the temp up, they even programmed the computer to do this automaticlly. Kinda spooky when you're ½ asleep and the motor starts to rear up by itself. In the Summer I often bump it up to 900-1000 for more cooling + less vibration. Only damage I can see is to fuel mileage. ;)

Must be Ford has a different engine computer, 'cause ours has a throttle function as part of the cruise control.