rooftop ac on aerocell cw

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
So ive settled on the type of vehicle I would like to get. A 12' unicell aerocell cw on a chevy or gmc chassis with the 6.0. I would like to try to find a used one with low miles, which I see pop up from time to time around the 25k range. Problem is, every singe one I have seen have the roll up rear door, not the full size barn doors. I am planning on insulating the cargo/sleeper area really well, so if I can find one with the barn doors I was planning on running a window ac through the door. I know a lot of people say they don't do the trick, but ive heard others say they did ok. I would be wiling to give it a shot for the price difference. But, its looking like I probably wont be able to find one with the rear doors, so I may have to go the rooftop route. Has anyone ever mounted a rooftop ac on one of these type of units? Ive searched the forums as well as google and couldn't find anything. Im sure I would have to reinforce the roof, but the thing that is the biggest question is the translucent strip going down the middle. Thanks for any and all responses.

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We have seen some boxtype trucks that have access doors low on the sides that open and a window AC slides out, then when on the roads slides back in and door closes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you get a roll-up door, one thing to seriously consider is applying Airtabs to the truck. I recommend them regardless, but with a roll-up door it's especially important. Airtabs reduce drag, keep road spray WAY down, and improve stability. But by reducing drag, it also means it will keep the rear door cleaner, keeping the road grime and dirt off the rear door, and that also means it will keep the ice and snow from building up on the rear door. Nothing quite like having the rear roll-up door with an inch or two of ice and snow on it, then rolling up the door to get loaded or unloaded, and then watching it rain onto the freight inside the box. Airtabs eliminate that. ;)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Problem is, every singe one I have seen have the roll up rear door, not the full size barn doors.
Personally I'd go with the barn doors. I have never driven a cube van with a roll-up door but I have pulled many trailers with roll-up doors. I could hear the doors rattle from the cab. Sharing the same space with a roll-up door only 12' behind me would probably drive me crazier.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Barn doors seal better. Aren't as noisy and are a good amount lighter. I would call aerocell and ask if they made barn door units. If they did you can look for such a unit.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Unicell CW can be ordered with optional swing doors. I believe it is also an option on Baybridge and Spartan. The problem is Mike is looking at a used cuber which limits his choices.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Barn doors seal better. Aren't as noisy and are a good amount lighter. I would call aerocell and ask if they made barn door units. If they did you can look for such a unit.

Yeah I plan on calling them to see if they do a conversion. I was just wanting to get all the info I could in case they don't do a conversion, or if I a rooftop unit might be cheaper than doing a conversion. I got a pm from a guy telling me about the weight savings and plenty of other potential problems due to the box being fiberglass, so im thinking im going with barn doors.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I think aerocell made the cargomaxx and you could get barn doors on them

You know, I didn't think of the cargomax. Ill have to look into it. I saw the aerocell srw and was turned away by the 11' floor length. I think I had that confused with the cargomax. They look similar.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
The Unicell CW can be ordered with optional swing doors. I believe it is also an option on Baybridge and Spartan. The problem is Mike is looking at a used cuber which limits his choices.

Im not interested in the Baybridge or Spartan. They are metal with seams and such and ive read some reviews from people with rust issues and leaky seams. Im not totally opposed to a new one. New they run about 35k, which I can do, but I would really like to find a low mile used one. I recently saw one with under 20k miles for $27k. Almost 10 grand cheaper with those kind of miles....sounds pretty good to me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah I plan on calling them to see if they do a conversion.
I've seen and pulled many trailers that had swing doors and were converted to roll-ups. I don't recall ever encountering the reverse. If a Unicell could be converted from a roll-up to swing doors I would imagine it would be quite expensive.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im not interested in the Baybridge or Spartan. They are metal with seams and such and ive read some reviews from people with rust issues and leaky seams.
Baybridge and Spartan cube vans are made of FRP, fibreglass reinforced plywood so they won't rust.

Im not totally opposed to a new one. New they run about 35k, which I can do, but I would really like to find a low mile used one.
If you can swing it there's nothing like getting exactly what you want in a new vehicle. I was all set to order a 14' Unicell CW but had to wait 8 months to get the Chevy chassis I wanted. Apparently GM has a short run of cutaways so I ended up getting a Transit.

Reactions: blackpup

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I didn't know they were FRP. The rust issues people were talking about were at the rear doors, so I guess its a problem with water funneling out around the rear door area. Plus I think the unicell is just a better looking box.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unicell uses stainless steel hinges and handles on their doors. At least on the CW.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Researching for a year and you're still going to drop 25k? Can't fault the choice of van, I was looking at a similar one...but 15k Canadian (about 11000) was to high a price to pay

Still liking the avg 22 mpg on my sprinter

If you have to buy newer maybe that 6.0 will make up for gas mileage by not puking DPF or DEF parts all over the highway

Interested to see how it works out...