Roll up rear door for Promaster

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
nice..but you ever drive a straight with roll up doors?....
They are noisy and rattle when wearing....leak air like crazy....you will lose inside height and they counter balance on a cable system...that cables wear and need replacing not to mention the rollers that always come off track and need attention...aka$$$$$$$ IMO

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
in hindsight with all the new technology out there maybe they have improved...as far as rollers and non sealing...but you;ll still lose inside height....member Guido has roller doors in his van...maybe if he is around...

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They may have improved, last one i had with a roll up door was from the 70's and some cheap rentals. the brochure says height of 69" thats slightly taller than mine now because of the hinges hang down. i would not be afraid of losing height if the door was 69" because ive never hauled anything taller than my door opening. i know it can be done if you get something light that can be tilted to enter than stood up. I would like to see this one in person, my concern is that overhang on top. i like the optional lower step bumper. gotta give up a hitch though

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Advantages of roll up door are being able to keep it closed until you've backed into the dock, more advantage for big trucks than vans but still nice to keep the rain, snow, etc out of the cargo area. It also reduces the amount you have to be standing out in the weather. Also, if you have that skid with a 12 inch coil of wire or whatever and it's right at the back you can open it about half way and at least reduce the exposure to the elements sometimes.

The potential disadvantage is not sealing as well when closed which can be an issue when that leads right into your living room.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They may have improved, last one i had with a roll up door was from the 70's and some cheap rentals. the brochure says height of 69" thats slightly taller than mine now because of the hinges hang down. i would not be afraid of losing height if the door was 69" because ive never hauled anything taller than my door opening. i know it can be done if you get something light that can be tilted to enter than stood up. I would like to see this one in person, my concern is that overhang on top. i like the optional lower step bumper. gotta give up a hitch though
I have a buddy who recently had a 2015 cutaway with a roll up door and he told me it was the loudest thing on his truck. Couldn't hear himself think and also it was very drafty when he was not moving.