Roberts Getting Shaft?

G

I met a roberts driver this week at the detroiter- she said the Canadaian DOT is doing a "crack-down" on expediting comapnies. She also said that roberts is PAYING for the lawyers to defend their drivers. Whats up with that?

I couldnt even get them to pay for an over-weight 5 years ago. Is this the "kinder, gentler" roberts?

Just wondering..... Back to my Tim Hortons donuts. :eek:

THE X

G

As I operate from Mississauga Ontario, I can tell you that the Ontario Ministry Of Transport is indeed having a "crackdown ", but it is not solely against expediters, but rather commercial vehicles in total. The enforcement units in Southwestern Ontario have been given more officers for patrol, and the scales will soon be open 24/7 on the 401 from Windsor to Oshawa. The OPP have also hired more constables for the enforcement of traffic laws in that area, and as for Roberts paying for lawyers, I can't say as I don't work for them. What I can tell you is that the Province of Ontario has the most stringent vehicle inspection rules in North America, and they really are serious about reducing truck accidents.

Be advised that if your commercial vehicle is taken out of service for a major safety infraction in Ontario, it may be held in "Truck Jail" for up to 15 days, as a penalty. And yes, the load stays on the vehicle while it is in the lock-up, so try explaining to the shipper why it will be a little late!! I again emphasise, that Ontario is not attacking expediters in particular, but rather the whole trucking industry is being forced to operate in a safe way. For too long, operators have paid only lip service to the idea of running their vehicles as if they might be inspected every day. Now this is a reality, and some of them are getting a few days off the road, due to mechanical neglect. And so they should,in my opinion at least. Jim Bunting Field Editor, Expedite Now.com

G

Yes Roberts Express has secured formal representation in Canada on
behalf of their Owner/Operators to assist with any Violations and
Inspections in Canada.
I for one think this effort shows Roberts Express concern to help
their Fleet of Owner/Operators deal with the Legal System in Canada
and comply with all the Regulations as a bonus when considering Leasing to any Expediter or Trucking Firm.
It's refreshing to have some one looking out for your best Interests
isn't it ?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
In Saturdays mail rec'd a FDX prepaid env to drop
in nearest , FDX box for Lawyer that is handling this for
Roberts

G

Maybe I am cynical, But after doing 2 years at Roberts my thinking is that the only reason Roberts is doing this is to benefit Roberts and their shippers. They havent cared about their owners and drivers before why would they start this "glasnost" now? Normally when they said "here is something to help" I never took it unless I was assured the proper lubrication.

Any doubt about this remember DVA. Stalin used to do start things for the peoples benefit too. And, in my opnion, the Krenlin in Akron isn't much different.

G

Got pulled in for an inspection in Ontario the other night. They are being very thorough. He even checked the frame rails. Everyone, make sure your truck is in tip-top shape before heading into Canada!
I for one appreciate Roberts doing something like hiring a Canadian lawyer for us. Do they have a hidden motive? Probably. But are you going to turn down the help when you need it just because Roberts benefits also?

G

Get a grip if Roberts was not paying for the lawyers...some you would be crying that they were'nt. Who else in the biz pays for the lawyers?

Renee
D----

(We were one of the units that got cited on the 401)