Roberts Express is now FedEx Custom

G

"O" Where, "O" Where is my Heat Gun at, duh, better call my mentor.

G

The signs do look good,they've come a long way from the Orange and Brown we used to have.I think the name change is a good idea,it as an instantly recognizable name. Has to give them a boost being tied in with Fed Ex. I'm happy for the owner-operators,now if they can get some driver friendly management they will be top-shelf once again..Good Luck Folks

G

It was a total shock to me. Why would they change such a name. Everyone all over knows that name. Nevertheless, I really like the name, the look and now the "image". Does this mean we get FDX benefits?

Rene

G

You watch. FedEx Custom Critical will make waves in the Expedite business. Things like this don't happen by accident. It had to be a well thought out plan. FedEx won't sit by & let their new baby sit idle too long without making a return on it's investment.

G

Rich, Why take a pessimistic look at this rather than the optimistic?
The way I see it, we're going to get to ride on the shirt-tail of FedEx's
marketing wisdom. Didn't you see the money that it's costing FedEx to do this?
100 million! World class companies don't throw money around like that unless it's
going to make them a return. Common sense tell us that this will have
a positive effect on us drivers.

G

I thought roberts was nuts for not identifying themselves with Fedex in the first place. Congrats to all ex-roberts people. You look a lot more pro then zippy expedite service.

G

Travis, I am not being pessimistic but a realist.I beleive most of that $100 million is going to bring RPS into the home delivery business. If you look at the FDX website they mainly talk about RPS.I wil be going to the Orlando meeting this Sunday and it should
be interesting.Fred Smith is a sharp guy and knows what he is doing,I can see long range benefits for us but in the short term they are going to want to recoup that $100 million rapidly and one way would be for Roberts to cut our % or reduce rates to obtain more business.I can also see about 20% of the fleet being made up of company drivers with company trucks so that a run would always be covered. One thing that we can all try to do is to try to obtain more discounts on equipment,tires,maintenance etc. FDX probably has quite a bit of purchasing power which could be passed along.One interesting item is that no mention was made about changing Viking Freight!s name.Perhaps they will sell off Viking.Anyway I will post on Sunday night (after our Jaguars whip Tenn) what went on at the meeting,,Drive safe..

G

Viking Freight looks like an ugly duckling now. I think their history. Especially after the Caliber boys finished them off in the east.

G

Rich,
You said that you're not being pessimistic, but a realist...
A realist wouldn't speculate the things like you did in your last reply. Why would you take liberty to say things like: "I can also see about 20% of the fleet being made up of company drivers with company trucks..."?? "and one way would be for Roberts to cut our % or reduce rates to obtain more business..."??

No sources from Roberts nor from FedEx has even slightly alluded to such things. Actually, both sources have emphatically said the opposite is true. They both have made statements that Roberts will continue to operate independently and the only change was a name brand change.

These are facts, the statements you made are only pessimistic speculation.

Rich, I don't mean to be hammering you, it's just the mind set that seems to infect many drivers that I'm coming against.

I hope your the Jags win!

G

Went to A Roberts (FEDEX) meeting in Orlando yesterday.They are quite excited about the name change and feel it will truly help us in the future.They brought along a D Unit that had been relogoed
with the new signs.You will not miss these trucks as the lettering is attractive,stands out and takes up a good portion of the box. They intend to have all trucks changed over by Sep 1.If you bought your original signs from Roberts there will be no charge.However the box and all B units must be painted White. Trucks that are not white have until Jan 1 ,2001 to get repainted or they will lose the .5 % advertising fee. Other than that it!s business as usual. Stay safe this winter..

G

don't know what all the big deal is about roberts. fedex has owned them now about a year. roberts was purchased about the same time fedex bought out cxaliber logistic. now that was a move, hook all three companies and they could kill the compation. you have land sea and air for pretty much the world. but the name change should make that much of a differnce.

Ridgerunner

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This sounds like something someone would say if he worked in the office at Roberts. As far as expediting goes the Roberts name had infinitely more clout than Fedex does. For someone to be excited about the change means they work at central office and they have to be excited or they may be in the Akron unemployment line.

Barf

G

Why would you say that a person that is excited about the name change has to be an insider?
I know of many drivers that are excited about the name change as I am.

Why are there so many pessimist drivers?
It takes the same amount of effort to have a good outlook as it does a bad one.
The benefits of a good outlook far surpasses the opposite.

Keep safe!