Roadside Assistance

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
What are my options to get roadside assistance coverage for my van? I called CAA (I'm in Ontario, CAA is the equivalent of AAA) and they don't cover commercial vehicles. Could I just tell them it's an RV and they would be none the wiser? Or would that be a bad idea?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What are my options to get roadside assistance coverage for my van? I called CAA (I'm in Ontario, CAA is the equivalent of AAA) and they don't cover commercial vehicles. Could I just tell them it's an RV and they would be none the wiser? Or would that be a bad idea?
1- They would know when they got to you.

2- That would be fraud.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
1- They would know when they got to you.

2- That would be fraud.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I figured it probably wasn't a great idea. So are you saying that I'm out of luck and I will just need to pay out of pocket for any roadside assistance that I need in the future?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I figured it probably wasn't a great idea. So are you saying that I'm out of luck and I will just need to pay out of pocket for any roadside assistance that I need in the future?
Have you asked your insurance company about it? Just about all insurance companies offer roadside assistance coverage.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What kind of van?

I do know for sure that CAA Quebec explicitly will not cover cargo vans or box trucks, but Ontario might be different. I think there are eight different CAA clubs in Canada, and just like AAA each one is slightly different. Look at your fine print on Eligible and Ineligible vehicles.

You may need to get RV coverage. You can also tell them, yeah, it's a cargo van, but it's your personal vehicle.

I've had AAA for more than 30 years, including the 17 years I expedited with the Sprinter. I was towed many times (oh, so many, so many many) including getting towed while loaded (both to a repair facility and to the delivery, and then to a repair facility).

Reactions: hdxpedx

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
What kind of van?

I do know for sure that CAA Quebec explicitly will not cover cargo vans or box trucks, but Ontario might be different. I think there are eight different CAA clubs in Canada, and just like AAA each one is slightly different. Look at your fine print on Eligible and Ineligible vehicles.

You may need to get RV coverage. You can also tell them, yeah, it's a cargo van, but it's your personal vehicle.

I've had AAA for more than 30 years, including the 17 years I expedited with the Sprinter. I was towed many times (oh, so many, so many many) including getting towed while loaded (both to a repair facility and to the delivery, and then to a repair facility).
It's a 2020 Ford Transit 350. High Roof