roads of the future

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow! 94 views and 0 comments i guess i was the only one that thought this thing was so cool.
Oh well sorry for waisting your bandwidth.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah it was pretty cool. Although, my first thought was that this would make Obamacare look like chump change.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get government out of it and it MAY work. One thing we DON'T ever want is the government providing our electricity. ANY monopoly is bad, a government monopoly is worse than bad, it's dangerous. Then electricity would become a weapon of control.

Besides, the feds have proven that they are not able to handle the roads, or the money that we pay for them now. Why would anyone think that they could handle even MORE tax dollars better? :confused:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
It's hard to even get a hold of this company so why would one support it.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds pretty cool, but the initial investment would have to be huge. And, yeah, the government would find a way to screw it up BIG time.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why would the initial investment have to be huge? It wouldn't be done all at once, just as repairs/replacements are needed. Those use time & money too, so the disruption would be minimal, and the investment would be well worth it, IMO.
As for the government, well, what can I say? It's not perfect, but it gets the job done: when I drop a letter in the blue box, I feel confident it will be delivered ontime and undamaged, and it always is - just sayin.....;)

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Get government out of it and it MAY work. One thing we DON'T ever want is the government providing our electricity. ANY monopoly is bad, a government monopoly is worse than bad, it's dangerous. Then electricity would become a weapon of control.

Besides, the feds have proven that they are not able to handle the roads, or the money that we pay for them now. Why would anyone think that they could handle even MORE tax dollars better? :confused:

Long ago and far away I used to live in a communist country where the government controlled everything. They decided how many loaves of bread a family could buy per week, or month, I dont even remember. There was no shortage. In fact, we produced so much wheat that we were called the bread basket of europe.
Electricity, the same. Every stinking day they were shutting the power down for 2 or 3 hours, in the evening. I remember lighting up candles and doing my homework.

Think this wont happen here? Give government enough control and it will.

Sorry for the off topic post, but reading this brought back some memories....

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Flying van: I understand the disinclination to live under total government control, and luckily, so did the men who founded the US. Power corrupts, absolutely.
But having said that, I can't go along with those who bash the government at every opportunity, either. Without the government's contributions, we wouldn't have websites, or internet, for that matter. And while they may be [scratch that: are] doing a very poor job of maintaining the roads, the system [including the interstate signage] is pretty impressive, IMO.
When profit is the primary, if not sole, consideration, we see things like deteriorating roads/bridges, so maybe private enterprise isn't the final solution to every problem either.
We just need to find the proper balance.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Flying van: I understand the disinclination to live under total government control, and luckily, so did the men who founded the US. Power corrupts, absolutely.
But having said that, I can't go along with those who bash the government at every opportunity, either. Without the government's contributions, we wouldn't have websites, or internet, for that matter. And while they may be [scratch that: are] doing a very poor job of maintaining the roads, the system [including the interstate signage] is pretty impressive, IMO.
When profit is the primary, if not sole, consideration, we see things like deteriorating roads/bridges, so maybe private enterprise isn't the final solution to every problem either.
We just need to find the proper balance.

We could have nice roads, if we didn't have Real nice sound barriers.. @ the cost of 2 to 3 million dollars a mile (depending on style of course) we could garner a 3 mile stretch of fresh highway. Don't even start on bike path's or the 911 Memorial.
I don't buy into the Guvment contributing anything positive to the internet, clean environment or anything that has to do with my day to day. Two words will give the power back to the rightful owners, "Term Limits". Doing so will allow "Free Enterprise" to be taken at face value and "Capitalism" will flourish once more.
Private Enterprise is what makes this country great sans Political Power.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sure, and we could have real nice roads if we didn't spend money on a whole lot of other things, like pointless wars [trillions, in the last decade - for what?!] for one.
Or, if the government cracked down on tax cheats & closed loopholes, we might have more money for better roads.
Private enterprise contributes to making this country great, but it's not entirely blameless in dragging us down, either: when the government discovers billions of dollars spent on fraudulent Medicare/Medicaid claims, guess who filed those claims? Yep, private enterprise. How about private banking's contribution to the financial meltdowns?
When the cat is declawed, the mice grow pretty bold....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe I saw Van Cliburn perform with the Honolulu Symphony in Honolulu in 1970-1971.
There was an attempt to culture me at one point.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You have just been IRT'ed by the master:cool: Enjoy the very best music ever BTW. Hugs

Yep, that was better than IRT, all right. ;)
And yes, I like Van Cliburn, but lately, I love Chooka Parker. [Find him on Youtube, Australia's Got Talent]
Now back on topic: we can have better roads, and it doesn't have to cost the earth - a little here, little there, but mainly, the commitment to do it.
BTW see the glow in the dark lighting on roads in Belgium? Super cool! One of those little things we should be doing already.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Long ago and far away I used to live in a communist country where the government controlled everything. They decided how many loaves of bread a family could buy per week, or month, I dont even remember. There was no shortage. In fact, we produced so much wheat that we were called the bread basket of europe.
Electricity, the same. Every stinking day they were shutting the power down for 2 or 3 hours, in the evening. I remember lighting up candles and doing my homework.

Think this wont happen here? Give government enough control and it will.

Sorry for the off topic post, but reading this brought back some memories....

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app

Many American's know nothing about what you speak of, and worse, don't want to learn. That is the primary reason that history "repeats" itself, we are not able to learn from out mistakes. What happened there, will likely happen here.