It's a Team's Life Riding the Roller Coaster part 2

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
The income of an expediter is very volatile and this does not matter if the truck is owned or a driver for a fleet owner.

Week by week or day by day income is as unpredictable as the loads. One week the income can be less than $1000.00 dollars and the next week over $10,000 and as such it is easier to figure income and expenses by the month not the day or the week. How to handle such a swing in income? That is the million-dollar question.

READ MORE...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent article! I always get a kick out of people that post a carrier guaranteed x number of miles per week. True, maybe, averaged over a year. But those miles probably included some very low paying loads which is still in line with their guarantee.

Your roller coaster analogy depicted the highs and lows but didn't mention the sub-terrain. Over the years I have had many negative weekly settlement payouts where my weekly deductions were greater than my pay. A miner's helmet with headlight, oxygen tank and money in the bank helped me get by. If you require an absolute weekly or monthly minimum pay then expediting may not be for you.

Reactions: in-Transit