Returned to expediting

knatransport

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
New to forum not new to trucking or expediting. However have been out of it for a while. We are our own company. Used to be under 10k you only needed dot number but it looks like this may have changed ( not a big deal i can reattach my mc#). What else has changed? Also looking for the best way to power tv's. Ac heat etc. We obviously don't want to spend a ton but want to be comfortable. Last question, after market air ride. Is it worth it?

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Woah woah woah.....slow down. Lol

Ok, there are a lot of things you need to factor in before worrying about things like TVs and after market airride.

1. Where are you planning on getting your freight? Are you planning on trying to use load boards or contracting your Vans to another company who has their own authority? What about insurance?

2. Where are you going to be getting your drivers? Are they experienced? Do you already have them lined up? Are you going to be able to retain them?

3. How much are you going to need to gross per month per van, to be able to pay your drivers, maintenance your vans, and pay for other costs? The market is in the toilet right now. Rates are not good. So realistically, do you think it would be the best time to start up a business right now with how uncertain and poor the markets are?

After all that, there is really no cheaper or more convenient way to have AC power....than a generator. You can usually pick up a compact generator with the necessary load requirements for $600-800 per. It will run AC in the summer time and can run heat in the winter. (however in the winter I found that using a buddy heater with a 20 lb propane tank was the most cost-effective, and convenient way). I have not known anyone to install aftermarket air ride on their vans. Because most freight doesn't require it. Best things to have is a van that can carry three pallets, plenty of straps and blankets.

knatransport

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Like I said not new. We have our own Authority. We have our own insurance. We have more than enough head haul freight and enough contacts that there will be less than 30% broker loads. We also have plenty of owner ops waiting to lease on. So starting a new company is not what we are doing. Expanding is more appropriate. Anyone knows that you need 3-6 months minimum operating capital before you venture out. And yes being able to haul 3 pallets is a given. So no not going into this blind or broke.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well no offense, but if you've been out of it for a while.... It's just like starting out new. Sure you might have some experience.... But if it's not recent, you really have no idea what to expect as far as the market goes. Rates are significantly lower than they were 5-10 years ago. Not to mention the market is saturated with companies and Independents. Mostly due to the fact that it doesn't require much to get into this business.

Right now, the market is crap. Has been since Covid. ...and even before that in a way. If you want to get an idea how bad, jump onto the job advertisements and see how many companies are looking for drivers/owner operators. It isn't because they have so much freight they can't handle..... It's because people are parking their Vans until things get better, or are getting out of the business completely due to not being able to make a living.

But at the end of the day it's all on you to make it work. I am kind of curious how you already have freight lined up, as well as know what percentage of loads will be from brokers.... Especially since most expedite loads are usually within 24 hours of pick up.

knatransport

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
After dealing with the same customers for 15 plus years in different aspects of their shipping needs i very well understand their cycles and the on demand needs. So yes very confident in my statement. Maybe the difference is between having actual customers and not leasing on with someone.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
After dealing with the same customers for 15 plus years in different aspects of their shipping needs i very well understand their cycles and the on demand needs. So yes very confident in my statement. Maybe the difference is between having actual customers and not leasing on with someone.
No reason to get testy..... Just pointing out the obvious.

I have a feeling that you think you know more than what you really do....as well as know what to expect when you don't. Especially whenever it regards expedited freight because it's a completely different world than traditional trucking freight. I'm sure companies have preferred expedite companies they contact.....but those are usually companies like Bolt, or Panther.

But be that as it may, it's on you to make it work. Best of luck.