Researching

cmakwaka

New Recruit
Researching
Hi, everybody
I have been expediting for a friend of mine for about 4 months using a 26ft straight truck with the aim of owning my own truck. At the moment, I'm browsing the net and although I would like to own a freightliner, the prices and availability in Boston, are no where near my budget.
I have noticed that international trucks are cheaper and available within. Everybody I have come across, say that international trucks are a nightmare. How true is this? What common problems do international trucks have? What year should I consider or stay away from?
Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Last Internationals I owned were a pair of new 1971s.

There’s a reason they are cheaper.
Work harder, save harder.
Buy something better.

cmakwaka

New Recruit
Researching
Last Internationals I owned were a pair of new 1971s.

There’s a reason they are cheaper.
Work harder, save harder.
Buy something better.

In your opinion, what is a better truck? what do you think of freightliners with MBE engines?

Wraytechs

Seasoned Expediter
Depends on how new of a IH your looking at... the Maxxforce engine is ok from what I've seen on the engine internals. The older maxxforce engines have trouble with the high pressure fuel pumps and also with the egr valves going bad. The egr cooler is another common problem. Newer engines have "better" designed egr valves but I've still replaced a boat load of them. Honestly I'd steer clear of the maxxforce unless your budget allows for some repairs and time to get the bugs worked out. Another problem that I've ran into in my area (Midwest) is that the local dealers around me really don't know how to work on the Maxxforce engine so you end up with huge repair bills etc... the engine is extremely picky on emission related codes and therefore if the techs haven't been properly trained its like trying to fly a plane blind when troubleshooting. Now the Cummins engine in a IH truck seems to have much less problems than the maxxforce engine. The IH trucks seem to be easy to see out of and operate... at least the ones ive been in.

I've only been around a couple MBE 900 but been around several 9000's... I've replaced several egr valves on them and replaced several headgasket sets on them.. the heads are individual and the old style had a faulty design that allowed the head/headgasket to move around on the block causing coolant and oil leaks. Typical sign of an engine with this problem is long discolored stains down the side of the block.

Reactions: RoadTime

cmakwaka

New Recruit
Researching
Depends on how new of a IH your looking at... the Maxxforce engine is ok from what I've seen on the engine internals. The older maxxforce engines have trouble with the high pressure fuel pumps and also with the egr valves going bad. The egr cooler is another common problem. Newer engines have "better" designed egr valves but I've still replaced a boat load of them. Honestly I'd steer clear of the maxxforce unless your budget allows for some repairs and time to get the bugs worked out. Another problem that I've ran into in my area (Midwest) is that the local dealers around me really don't know how to work on the Maxxforce engine so you end up with huge repair bills etc... the engine is extremely picky on emission related codes and therefore if the techs haven't been properly trained its like trying to fly a plane blind when troubleshooting. Now the Cummins engine in a IH truck seems to have much less problems than the maxxforce engine. The IH trucks seem to be easy to see out of and operate... at least the ones ive been in.

I've only been around a couple MBE 900 but been around several 9000's... I've replaced several egr valves on them and replaced several headgasket sets on them.. the heads are individual and the old style had a faulty design that allowed the head/headgasket to move around on the block causing coolant and oil leaks. Typical sign of an engine with this problem is long discolored stains down the side of the block.
So basically stick to trucks with Cummins engines since CAT engines also have a bad reputation?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What size/type of truck are you planning to buy? Class 7 box truck vs Class 8 tractor (or box) and how new/old really makes a difference as to what's available and what is good or isn't. How heavy you want to haul and where and how many miles also matters

Generally speaking.. Class 7 International stuff isn't great and thier engines after 2009 were awful. The newer stuff is a bit better as long as it has a Cummins engine. Freightliner M2's are a better truck generally as long as it is specd right for what you are going to do. If you step up to a Class 8...you have more "good" options but also a higher upfront cost.

Do you really need a 26ft box? That also could limit your truck choices as a box that long needs a shorter truck/daycab.

You might also find used truck prices and quality will improve if you look beyond the east coast. The Truck Paper web site can at least give you an idea of prices elsewhere and you can play around with the search function a bit with make and models and get a feel for what that does to prices. Even if you do end up buying in Boston you'll be a bit more educated on what costs what.

Best of luck!

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No international and that’s coming from a guy that drives a Hino. Lmao. I love my Hino.