Researching first

Retired Newbie

New Recruit
Researching
Hey all. I've been lurking here for awhile, and after 30 years in a completely different type of work, I'm retired and seriously considering expediting. My question is, regarding Sprinter van work, is there a way to see just how much work is around me now? I'd like to know that should I jump in, there's enough to keep me busy. I live near Syracuse NY, and my hope is to find runs that would keep me within 6-700 miles of home. I'd like to do somewhat local, but am not opposed to being away a night or two here and there. I have no desire to do OTR, wait, I do have that desire, but my wife does not share it, and I can't afford another wife. I'm sure I could call carriers and ask this question, but I'm sure some will swear up and down that it's possible, only to find out I'm lucky to be home a couple days a week. Thoughts?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can accept or reject any load offer given. If you are willing to get the passport and other permits etc. to go to Canada you open more possibilities. But staying busy and staying within 6xx miles of home depends on your definition of busy. Expediting is a business of hurry up and wait. And if home is point A you don't get jobs A-B, B-A, A-C, C-A, A-D, D-A you get jobs A-D-K-B-C-R-M-C-N-G-A. And many of those offered loads will be more than 6xx miles away from A. And if you do run the former it will be because you are mostly driving the "x"-A part empty to get back to A, thereby burning a lot of the meager profit in fuel returning. And as you bounce around to all those different locations you sit and wait between jobs. And if you intend to make any profit you do that in your van which you've adapted to both haul freight and be your home away from home.

Frankly, you'd probably make similar money, and spend every night at home in your own bed or recliner, if you study a foreign language until you can sound like a native as you say, "Hello, welcome to Walmart." or "Would you like to add fries to that?".

Reactions: Ragman