REQUESTING INFO ON ZF MERITOR TRANNY

FREE LANCE

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at a truck that has a Meritor 12 speed Freedom Line auto shift transmission, Meritor MO-14Z12A (12). I am not familiar with this product and have no experience driving one.
Does anyone have any information, experience or opinions with this transmission? The Good, TheBad and the Ugly

Over the hill and half way down the other side.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our truck has the ZF Meritor 12-speed auto transmission in it. We have no complaints. It has been working well. The only thing we do not like about it is the position of the shifter on the side of the driver's seat. We would prefer to have a push-button pad on the dash.

gojack

Expert Expediter
I have a Freedomline 12 speed in a class 8 Volvo VNL Tractor
no problems, and it skip shifts saving fuel.

Also had the dash mounted push button on previous truck
Freedomline shifter is much easier

to easy to hit the wrong button on the push button type
also to easy to push it twice and downshift to far.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Apparently Meritor's automatics have become so popular that ZF Meritor has discontinued production of all its manual transmissions as of October 2006 to exclusively produce heavy duty automatics. I had a 10 speed Rockwell/Meritor manual in my old truck and an Eaton Ultra in the new one, and I won't touch a manual again! Mudflap

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
While not intimately familiar with ZF-Meritor 12 speed auto, I did become rather familiar with the ZF-Meritor 10 speed auto that some MCI J4500 tour buses had. I deadheaded, along with a couple of other drivers, one of those buses from Phoenix to San Antonio.

All in all, they're pretty good transmission, but, if you're like me, and have never driven a 10+ speed manual, it takes some getting used to the way it shifts (computer controlled double clutching). These buses had a powerful CAT engine coupled with the transmission and they proved to be a very efficient combination as we only half of our 220 gallons of fuel to make it from Phoenix to San Antonio, albeit we were not under load.

Also you have to be careful when going from stop to start at a traffic light or something similar. Three (3) seconds after you let go of the brake pedal, the brakes will release and the transmission will be in neutral and you will roll with whatever incline you are on. When we were being trained on this particular transmission, we had to pull up on an incline in the yard, and let go of the brake pedal and wait for the brakes to release to see what that felt like. That was kind of strange.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
our volvo has one no complants but i still prefer a ten speed man/i got better fuel with one of them but texbell likes auto better

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
The freelancer asked his opening question last November.
So this will not likely help him much.
Still, though, others may feel some curiosity about automated transmissions.
May I please suggest two alternatives?
Marda and I specified Eaton-Fuller AutoShift transmissions in our two Volvo tractors.
We immediately fell in love with them.
I'm a long-time manual shifter.
I greatly enjoyed doing it that way.
My father, a veteran Greyhound driver, taught me how to float shift -- not only how to do it, but also why and how it works -- when I was 8 years old -- and how to do it very gently.
Eventually, though, I became ready to allow a pair of computers to do my shifting for me.
Besides, by that time I had taken on Marda as my co-pilot.
Have I mentioned that she's a woman?
Well, she is.
Marda, along with most women -- and apparently a fair number of men newbies, judging from the sounds and sights in the parking lots nowadays -- has never yet arrived at a full understanding of or appreciation for the subtleties of double-clutching and downshifting -- especially while climbing a tough upgrade with a big load.
She tells people that the AutoShift saved our marriage.
That may be a bit of an overstatement.
But it did make some moments more pleasant.
When we wrote the specs for our present Columbia D truck, we included the Eaton-Fuller UltraShift.
UltraShift = AutoShift + AutoClutch.
AutoShift is a three-pedal system; UltraShift is a two-pedal system.
AutoClutch is a conventional dry clutch, not a slushbox or torque converter.
The AutoClutch enganges and disengages automatically without attention or action by a driver.
The AutoShift involved a learning curve, as did the UltraShift (even after our driving the AutoShift, because a few details are slightly different).
For those who prefer to shift, then do so by all means.
For those who -- for whatever combination of reasons -- prefer a somewhat less demanding life -- then go for it.
I've driven two Volvo demonstrators with ZF FreedomLine transmissions.
I much prefer UltraShift or AutoShift.
Best wishes to all,
Doc.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I enjoyed having the skills to shift a manual tranny, but my Eaton Ultra sure saves wear on the old knee, and that in turn prolonged a driving career :) Keep in mind other than the Allison, many heavy duty truck automatics still have a standard clutch in them that needs to be adjusted and replaced. Mudflap

gojack

Expert Expediter
Update : ON ZF MERITOR TRANNY

minor update on the ZF MERITOR Freedomline 12 speed

Trying to rock the truck back and forth to get out of a snow bank
does not work well with the Freedomline, the shift is too slow from forward to reverse to rock very well.

Other than that, 35,000+ miles of mostly city driving, no problems to report. Narry a sore knee yet

Dave