Requesting advice from Mac users...

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I have a garmin GPS and Delorme Mapping software which requires the use of parallels to run under windows..
Very functional but a bit of pain in the but to run Parallels all the time...Does anyone know of a good Mapping program for Macbooks that will replace all or most of the functions provided by Delorme.

The garmin does a good job but I really like the overview picture and routing options provided by delorme.

Looking forward to your comments and Thanks in advance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
DeLorme is pretty awesome software because it has a large business industrial database where it will find manufacturing facilities and even LTL terminals by name. There's no other Windows mapping program that does that.

But for Mac native mapping and routing software, the only decent one I know of is RouteBuddy.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I dream of the day when I can hook up my gps and Google maps will work with it..I want to just bring up google maps set my route and the gps puts the arrow in the right place and follows..(or leads) the way..Seems to have all the features i need and would give me the overview I want.

The search functions seem to cover all the other needs that may come up...only down fall I see in this set up is the need for a constant internet connection but even that is do-able even today...

I took a quick look at turtles link and will look for reviews on this product...but at first glance it does not seem to be a very feature rich program like delorme...looks like I may have to buy maps seperatly as well...

I will update findings on this after I research program a little more..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The overview of an atlas-type mapping program is nice, and necessary, and it was the first thing I didn't like about the Garmin, because I was so used to DeLorme and Streets & Trips where I seamlessly used the atlas overview and the routing at the same time. But it didn't take me very long to get to the point where I now use the mapping software on the computer rarely, once or twice a week, and just use the Garmin. The Garmin sure sucks as an atlas, tho. But then again that's not what it's designed for. That's like complaining that my cranking battery sucks at dealing with a microwave.

Now, there's always the Droid, which comes with Google Navigator, Google Maps and Google Earth. :D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been telling the Hobo how much I like my DroidX, but he's really hung up on Apple. What do they call people like that, Fan Boys?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, but Fan Boys fits so many things, from comic book fanboys to Star Wars fanboys. I've always called then Mac Heads. But Apple Fanboys works.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You've sen pictures of Assange, right? He just looks like a Machead. That's because he is. :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Very functional but a bit of pain in the but to run Parallels all the time...Does anyone know of a good Mapping program for Macbooks that will replace all or most of the functions provided by Delorme.
Dunno about Delorme and what all it provides ...... but why not just download the free Garmin Road Trip mapping software for Mac OS X and have a look and see if it will do what you want:

Garmin Mac OS Software

.... Mac: .... cause it just works ......

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I'm feeling picked on here!!:)

I'm an old IBM'r and used windows for many, many years. I got yet another virus and that was the infamous "Straw"... I spent the big bucks and go my first MAC...The first thing I notice is that a mac is "intuitive" as compared to a windows machine and are very easy to learn and use...The second thing I notice was that they Techs at the Apple store actually knew what they were doing and more often than not ...did it for free.

I am a loyal Mac user I admit....but they have earned that loyalty as evidenced by they're recent surge in popularity.

As to the droid...I like my basic lil flip phone because it is dependable and the contract is all done. A new Droid requires a new contract. Verizion had earned my loyalty with their coverage and exceptional customer service and plan changes w/o new contract. Now that they are the big boys there has been a noticable drop in customer service. I have been dissapointed on several issues in the last year. Not sure there is any better out there yet but I'm not willing to re-up for a contract until I see a real need to do so.

Also for the Overview I am looking for the droid screen is too small. I am not familiar with Google Navigation yet but I sounds like what i may be looking for if I can load it on the laptop...

The two software programs mentioned look like they have potential but the garmin one seems to need to have maps activated and I hav'nt hooked up garmin to laptop to accomplish this yet...

still looking into the 1st program mentioned but need a couple extra bucks in the account to justify an "I want it" vs an "I need it" decision.

Thanks for the comments guys...I've got some options at least at this point..!!