Republicans who think that "Most" Americans don't want taxes raised.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Okay, so I am watching CNN and I see Republicans who say that most Americans don't want to see their taxes raised. However, there is a poll where 66% of Americans support a budget deal with a mix of tax increases or (cutting loopholes). I tried and tried to comprehend who the Republicans are saying don't want their taxes raised and the only thing I can think is that we the people making under $1,000,000 a year don't matter to them. And "their" polling was based on the wealthy. So it is my opinion that Republicans don't give a **** about the average working American and are willing to let them pay higher prices on EVERYTHING instead of raising taxes on the rich. I am not a big fan of Obama, but I do feel that the original plan to cut loopholes was a good start. At the same time we can't afford to cut too much, or our country could slip into another Great Depression. I've already called my Senator and voiced my opinion. So I hope everyone else is doing the same. Whatever it is, if the deficit is not raised by Aug 3, then "everyone" will be paying by the selfish political theatrics by BOTH parties. Especially the Tea Party. I didn't vote out Democratic Senators becuase I wanted a divided government. I voted them out to get the job done. I think that they should have some compasion for the working class and compromise. And for those that don't like Obama, you'll have your chance in 2012 to vote him out too.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
At the same time we can't afford to cut too much, or our country could slip into another Great Depression.

I think that is what they want everyone to believe but it is no where near the truth.

If we cut 40% of the budget tomorrow, effective the next fiscal year, we would be alright and our economy would recover quickly.

IF we cut 10% now, we would be alright and our economy would recover quickly.

If we increase the debt, spur on stagflation and lower the value of the dollar, we would be essentially in 1930.

The real problem is we don't need a balance in congress, we need a balance between the WH and congress and this is our present problem - we don't have one. With no one taking a lead in the dems, and the republicans sending out compromised proposals while all of them are working behind closed doors, AT THE SAME TIME our great leader says he will veto anything from the republicans, we and the world sit here wondering what's wrong with the picture.

A lot of concern world wide isn't the "bond rating" or if we will "default" on any obligations (which is so much BS, hitler was right 'tell a big lie and people will believe it" but it is the ambiguity that the administration and congress have been perpetuating for a long time. THIS is just one more example of that ambiguity that is killing everything. Remember that the economy is stuck in ultra low gear with the engine racing because of this ambiguity - no business with good management will make any investments or hire people without a clear picture of what the near term will bring and our great leader has purposely left them hanging trying to figure it out. NOT because he is a leftist or a marxist but because is a poor leader.

As for the tea party, they have it right to a point but they will not stand in the way of a solution when and IF one gets on the floor for a vote.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what the solution is, but all these government programs, Medicare, Social Security etc etc are going to bankrupt us.
I am sure there are many that would opt out of SS in a New York minute, I know I would. I am 41 and know that I could do a better job with investments and have more money when I retire than I can ever expect from the SS ponzi scheme.
Also, there is a large majority of people out there that don't really pay any taxes, if you really look at it.
I don't think raising taxes is the solution, at a point it's like why work if the government is taking everything anyways.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Over half of the people in this country pay no taxes at all.and thats the lower end of the income stage.I belive it like the top 5-10% of income earners pay 60% of the taxes that the goverment collects every month.Yet some say they dont pay their fair share.Loopholes for big companys yes they need to be looked at.Obama wants to raise taxes on anyone earning 250,000 a year or more.Do you really think a million dollars makes you rich?Cause it dont!!

As this goes on, more of the real truth comes out its not the default that worrys Obama its the AAA credit rating downgrade that is worrying them.This is whats gonna cost us all more.You see the powers that be in the world are not so much worried about us raising the debt limit,they know its gonna happen.What they have said is that what this deal needs to do is get spending under control.Who are thesse powers that be you ask.They are the ones who decide what americas credit rating is.

So the latest republican deal is not even on the floor of the house yet and Harry reid says its dead on the senate floor.Obamma has already says he will veto it.Yet they talk about compermise.(I know thats spelt wrong)What makes this really sad is this would not have been an issue if the democrats would have delt with this last year instead of leaving the work up to republicans to do.Keep beliving in that hope and change.

You know the thing about polls?let me call who I want, ask the questions I want, the way I want,I will give you the results you wanna hear.:D

never forget the thing about spreading the wealth is sooner or later you run out of everyone else's money!!!!

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Who are the selfish people, the ones who believe we should live within our means, our the ones who believe some people have a right to other peoples' money?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I agree get rid of all the tax 'loopholes' you know like the ones that O/O's and Fleet Owners get for depreciation for having the trucks, interest for the loans for the truck stuff. Oh lets not forget the one we get for days out on the road. While we are at it the same goes for the 'loopholes' for your mortgage and any deductions for children.

Those crapy rich people need to step up to the table and pay for me and my fellow citizens who haven't sucked the life out of the economy.

Lets see the government spends somewhere around $3,500,000,000,000.00 a year for us. Divide that by the number of citizens and your fair share is north of $10,000.00 for each person in your household.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The government has been shut down for lack of a budget before and the country did not default and the country will not default this time...as was said, its all bs and political theater...you want to see barry pass the republican bill as it is but with one change, let them make it last till after the 2012 election and he will sign it in a heartbeat....

I don't make $250,000 and i don't want the taxes raised on those that do make that or more...I want less spending and a smaller government...if it means shuting the gov down and the debt ceiling fight going on for as long as it takes, so be it.....

As for the poll saying most want the taxes raised and the loopholes raised...yeap, those are the same people that love barry for paying them from his "stash"...the ignorant that don't understand that the givernment has no money....you know those that don't pay income tax....those that think the government needs to take care of them....not those that work to take care of themselves....

As for the Tea Party..more power to them....by the way, did you see in the last day or 2 that the head of one of the Tea Party groups is speaking out that Boehner Must Go.....guess they aren't just after the lib left....

Oh and I hope that the Tea Party reps can kill any bill that doesn't cut spending and adds any tax increases at all....none at all....oh and yea....the government is too big and is spending more in BORROWED MONEY then we can ever repay...hell we can't even pay the interest on what we owe....you if ran a business the way the government runs our country, you'd be in jail.....

Tea Party Activists Revolt Against Boehner Amid Debt Crisis - FoxNews.com

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Who are the selfish people, the ones who believe we should live within our means, our the ones who believe some people have a right to other peoples' money?

Isn't this the issue right now with Social Security and the mantra of many who think they "deserve" because they paid into a false and hopeless "contract" with the government?

I think if we want to save anything, let's take a serious look at Social Security and make those who can afford to live without it, live without it. IF our great leader says everyone needs to sacrifice, then I can see the retired couple who has a half of mil sitting in assets be able to live without that money from other people.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Tell ya what, I can live without my social security checks just fine, Just give me back the money I paid into it for the past 45 years and that'll be just fine with me.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Tell ya what, I can live without my social security checks just fine, Just give me back the money I paid into it for the past 45 years and that'll be just fine with me.:D

Don't take this wrong, I would love to see everyone get everything they put into the system but I have ot be on the other side of the argument for now.

Why wold you think that you have any money in the system, it is a great big ponzi scheme and it makes Madoff look like a kid.

You don't get your money back from the income taxes you paid, do you?

So why do people think they deserve what they paid into the system back?

No one said to you when you started work, here sign this contract and we will 'save' that money for you.

The system was sold to the people as a help for those who needed it but not intended for the mess we have today from the changes made in 1965 which is caused by the same exact mentality we have today - out of control spending.

Many may think this is all unfair but it isn't, there were people who were here, working only a few years and getting full benefits which changed in 1959. They sued when they didn't get their benefits and it went through the courts to the SC and they said 'nope you are not entitled to a dime of that money'.

I think what will happen is this - there will be a time when no one gets a dime because the system collapsed. There will be no fix and people will have to deal with it because there will be more important things.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't take this wrong, I would love to see everyone get everything they put into the system but I have ot be on the other side of the argument for now.

Why wold you think that you have any money in the system, it is a great big ponzi scheme and it makes Madoff look like a kid.

You don't get your money back from the income taxes you paid, do you?

Income taxes pay for services provided by government, and I certainly benefit from many of them.

So why do people think they deserve what they paid into the system back?

Oh, I dunno - maybe because that's WHY the money was taken from their earnings?

No one said to you when you started work, here sign this contract and we will 'save' that money for you.

The system was sold to the people as a help for those who needed it but not intended for the mess we have today from the changes made in 1965 which is caused by the same exact mentality we have today - out of control spending.

The system was created to ensure that folks who are too old to work don't need to live in a box under the freeway, eating dumpster scraps, because they have no money left. For whatever reason, whether it's their fault or not, the money they need simply isn't there.

Many may think this is all unfair but it isn't, there were people who were here, working only a few years and getting full benefits which changed in 1959. They sued when they didn't get their benefits and it went through the courts to the SC and they said 'nope you are not entitled to a dime of that money'.

I think what will happen is this - there will be a time when no one gets a dime because the system collapsed. There will be no fix and people will have to deal with it because there will be more important things.

People will deal with it, and it won't be pretty - hungry folks can get real ugly after awhile.

I cannot believe that SS is what the politicians suggest we reduce - how about the pay of the elected officials who have failed for so many years? How about the waste and duplication of 'National Security' - how many separate agencies are there now? How about finding the fraud perpetrated by savvy medical practitioners on Medicare billing? [It's mind boggling, how much they get away with!] Or here's a novel approach: how about requiring charities and churches to pay taxes? Don't they benefit from the military, roads, police & firefighters, etc?
How about insisting that the politicians who say 'sacrifices must be made' be required to begin the cuts on their own pay and benefits and perks? :mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Police, firefighting, education, state and local law enforcement are NOT Federal functions under the U.S. Constitution and therefore should not be on the table or even mentioned in these discussions.

The duplication of "National Security" is the result of laws passed by Congress and it has hurt security efforts.

Want to cut spending?

Eliminate the following FEDERAL departments NOT in the Constitution:

Education, Commerce, EPA, Energy, SBA, NPR, Agriculture, Obama Care and so on and so forth.

Eliminate 100% of FEDERAL monies for LOCAL and STATE law enforcement, firefighting etc.

Those who have been forced by law to pay into SS should get what they were promised. The term for monies taken based on a promised that is not delivered is "swindle" Congress is good at that.

The word for taking money by implied force is "extortion" Congress is good that.

Using deadly force to enforce those kinds of things is called murder. Congress is going to be good at that too soon.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
On another note: Bill Clinton did have a budget surplus when he left office.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On another note: Bill Clinton did have a budget surplus when he left office.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Much of that "surplus" was done by NOT protecting the Country. By cutting intelligence programs aimed at terrorists. Those cuts directly lead to the intell failures that helped those who planed the 9/11 attacks.

ANYONE can have a surplus if you don't do the jobs you are required to do.

Carter was good at that too.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Much of that "surplus" was done by NOT protecting the Country. By cutting intelligence programs aimed at terrorists. Those cuts directly lead to the intell failures that helped those who planed the 9/11 attacks.

ANYONE can have a surplus if you don't do the jobs you are required to do.

Carter was good at that too.

"By cutting intelligence" I think you nailed what the democrats are about:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To quote Elvis Presley: "Most Americans don't want to know about this." Part of his remarks on the Cold War. How right he was.

Corrected and complete quote:

"I don't think Americans even want to know about this stuff, " Elvis said. "A lot of people back home think I'm out of my mind doin' what I'm doin'."

Last edited: