Remember your Carbon Monoxide detectors this winter!

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's that time of the year again when we are all trying everything we can to come up with a cost effective heating solution for the winter.

Whether it is using a Buddy heater, your remote starter for a blast of heat every now and then, a generator/small electric heater combo, or whatever solution, just make sure to have at least one decent Carbon Monoxide detector with fresh batteries for the winter season.

Remember, even if you use just a sleeping bag to stay warm, and none of the solutions above, someone may be parked next to you running their engine/generator with their exhaust being given to you.

I just thought this topic was worth mentioning. Be careful out there everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One note; I might as well "fix" this before someone else does. It's carbon monoxide we're worried about, not carbon dioxide. If CO2 is your big worry, then your van is sealed way too tight and you need to get some oxygen into that machine right now. Either that, or figure out a way to stop exhaling CO2 while you're breathing.

CO2 is a problem on submarines. That's why they have scrubbers, and why they have a mechanism on board for getting oxygen from sea water.

Last edited by a moderator:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the good thing about a Big Buddy...it'll remind you real quick to crank a window open....they are real sensitive to Oxygen depletion...on my CO2 detector it has never ever detected any...if in a gas van like I was once...I carried a 5' flex dryer hose and attached it to the tailpipe....

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the first items we put in our truck is a carbon monoxide and smoke detector. They are inexpensive, ours runs on a battery, and could save our lives. We have had the detector go off once for carbon monoxide due to a truck next to us.

The smoke detector goes off more often as it does not like the fact that I like my toast dark....

Great Reminder

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
One of the first items we put in our truck is a carbon monoxide and smoke detector. They are inexpensive, ours runs on a battery, and could save our lives. We have had the detector go off once for carbon monoxide due to a truck next to us.

The smoke detector goes off more often as it does not like the fact that I like my toast dark....

Great Reminder

I had 2 carbon Monoxide detectors when I heated with propane and they do work. I placed one 2feet off the floor and the other one near the ceiling of the van. I also had both front windows down about 2 inches and that system kept the van vented just right. The alarms did not go off anymore. Ps, the alarm for carbon monoxide will go off way early before you get dizzy or worst case dead, IMHO, always , always have 2 alarms, you may need backup someday.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had 2 carbon Monoxide detectors when I heated with propane and they do work. I placed one 2feet off the floor and the other one near the ceiling of the van. I also had both front windows down about 2 inches and that system kept the van vented just right. The alarms did not go off anymore. Ps, the alarm for carbon monoxide will go off way early before you get dizzy or worst case dead, IMHO, always , always have 2 alarms, you may need backup someday.

Because propane relies on oxygen here is why your alarm went off...

[h=3]Combustion Requirements[/h] Three ingredients required for combustion to take place include fuel, ignition and air. Without any one of these three ingredients, combustion will not occur and even still, the ratio of air to gas must be within an acceptable range for combustion to occur. For instance, a mixture made up of equal parts propane and air will not combust when ignition is introduced. With propane, combustion will occur when the gas in air mixture is between 2.2 and 9.6 and is referred to as the "limits of flammability". In other words, 2.2 parts propane and 97.8 parts air is a combustible mixture as is 9.6 parts propane and 90.4 parts air. Combustion will occur anywhere between these two gas to air ratios with the "ideal burn" being about 4 parts propane and 96 parts air (1:24). This ideal ratio is considered to be the most efficient burn of propane gas when used. Complete combustion of propane is evident by a blue burning flame.
[h=3]Incomplete Propane Combustion - Carbon Monoxide[/h] Carbon Monoxide is produced during the incomplete combustion of propane. Incomplete combustion is defined as within the limits of flammability but higher or lower than the ideal ratio of 4 parts propane 96 parts air. Incomplete propane combustion can occur in one of two ways:

• Lean Burn - The ratio of propane to air is less than 4 parts propane. 2.5 parts propane to 97.5 parts air would produce a lean burn. A lean burn can be recognized when flames appear to lift away from the burner and can potentially go out.
  • Rich Burn - A ratio of propane to air is more than 4 parts propane. 8.5 parts propane to 91.5 parts air would produce a rich burn. Recognizing a rich burn is very simple as the flames are much larger than they are supposed to be and are largely yellow in color.
Several products of incomplete combustion that are easily visible and if noticed, action should be taken immediately. Visible signs of incomplete combustion include burner flame appearance (as listed above), soot collecting on appliance windows such as that of a space heater and excessive water vapors forming on windows and cool surfaces during appliance operation. Appliance service and adjustment is needed if any of these visible signs of incomplete combustion are noticed.

Propane requires A LOT of air! That is why the window must be open....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a detector in my van. It has gone off twice, both times when I was in line at a crowded toll plaza. I hadn't really thought about having two but as inexpensive as they are I may get another.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a detector in my van. It has gone off twice, both times when I was in line at a crowded toll plaza. I hadn't really thought about having two but as inexpensive as they are I may get another.

I just got one today. I'm glad to hear they're sensitive enough to sound at a toll plaza, since that means it should be sensitive enough to sound well before you get killed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm in a Sprinter (diesel) so I don't have to worry it coming from my van, it's from somewhere else that's the problem. Over the years I've had mine go off three times. Two times when an idling car was parked next to me at a truck stop, and one time at a chicken plant where they were cooking chicken. At the chicken plant it went off as soon as I drove onto the lot, and any place within about 100 feet of the building would set it off. That one prompted the plant to do some monitoring and find out where it was coming from. I have no idea what the results were, though. Never been back there since.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Woke the other morning with no heat coming from The Buddy. Had not cracked the window enough and it's detector shut the unit down. Currently running the dual green canisters because the 20 cylinder will not fire it with hose connected. Could it be I need the regulator? Almost seems it's feeding too much through the hose?

Nice post and I'm off to get the detector at first opportunity.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Woke the other morning with no heat coming from The Buddy. Had not cracked the window enough and it's detector shut the unit down. Currently running the dual green canisters because the 20 cylinder will not fire it with hose connected. Could it be I need the regulator? Almost seems it's feeding too much through the hose?

Nice post and I'm off to get the detector at first opportunity.

do you have the required filter?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ut Oh.......Required filter? May as well profess ignorance now. I saw regulators on the shelf, but not filters. What can you tell a rookie?

If you by the Mr buddy hose no filter needed. If you buy the ones at walmart meant for Coleman type products you do. Lowes carries the mb hoses.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Was at Lowes today and I think I know of what you speak. Using the hose from my weber grill and it fits nicely. (looks just like the buddy hose) However, research confirms I need the filter.

Thanks for the responses. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was at Lowes today and I think I know of what you speak. Using the hose from my weber grill and it fits nicely. (looks just like the buddy hose) However, research confirms I need the filter.

Thanks for the responses. :)

the problem you might have now is excessive oil in the lines of the Buddy itself....I used a can of air to blow them out....had a couple teaspoons of oil in there and it would not stay lit.....it had a gurgling hissing sound?....

If you still have the receipt I'd take the Buddy back for exchange to get a clean one

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the problem you might have now is excessive oil in the lines of the Buddy itself....I used a can of air to blow them out....had a couple teaspoons of oil in there and it would not stay lit.....it had a gurgling hissing sound?....

If you still have the receipt I'd take the Buddy back for exchange to get a clean one

Where does that oil come from? I'm still using the disposable tanks so it's not a problem yet, but I'd like to know before I go the 20 lb tank route.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
No hissing but it seemed to be feeding too strong. Cracking the valve back on tank did not help. It's a brand new unit so I'm thinking it must need the filter as you mentioned before.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Ut Oh.......Required filter? May as well profess ignorance now. I saw regulators on the shelf, but not filters. What can you tell a rookie?

You can get the filters at Gander mountain. I think there around 6$

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
It must be this little guy?

filter.jpg

Not well schooled in gas or electricity but this must cut down and regulate the flow from the 20# tank......and is necessary.

Last edited: