Remember - Oklahoma Senators said "No" to Sandy aid

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The first piece of information to look at is the claim these guys said no money for Hurricane Sandy relief or did they actually vote down all the earmarks and wasteful spending a bunch of other people attached to make sure the garbage went through.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The first piece of information to look at is the claim these guys said no money for Hurricane Sandy relief or did they actually vote down all the earmarks and wasteful spending a bunch of other people attached to make sure the garbage went through.

There may have been pork <what bill doesn't>. The bottom line is these people needed help and they said "No".

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did they say no to help, or did they say no to a bill that actually contained more pork than it did emergency FEMA funding?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There may have been pork <what bill doesn't>. The bottom line is these people needed help and they said "No".

It is a matter of ethics and what those particular guys were put in office to do by their constituents. No bill should have pork attached especially a relief bill, for any reason, and more people should have supported the idea of changing the way our government works. Now we have a bunch of people screaming gotch ya before a bill has even been introduced to see if these guys try to add earmarks. They were trying to change a flawed system, not stick to Sandy victims as people are implying. Sometimes change comes with a little pain.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For those who didn't pay attention to the pork that was crammed into the Sandy relief bill:
The pork-barrel feast includes more than $8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments. It also includes a whopping $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in DC.

An eye-popping $13 billion would go to “mitigation” projects to prepare for future storms.

Other big-ticket items in the bill include $207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center; $41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; $4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida; $3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center and $1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

Budget watchdogs have dubbed the 94-page emergency-spending bill “Sandy Scam.

Chris Christie Tries to Rewrite Own History on Hurricane Sandy Relief Bill - Katie Pavlich

Another instance of the mainstream media not providing facts, instead aiding and abetting the agenda of the spendaholics in congress.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good for them, trying to see to it the right thing was done not the quickest thing or the spendingest thing.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If that's your position, then you've just ensured that nothing will be defeated, ever, as long as it's attached to some emergency aid bilk. I tipped "bill," & Android changed it to "bilk." Left it that way for obvious reasons.

Hey, maybe the Sooners read the constitution and discovered there's no authority there for any such aid bill, which would make it illegal, and they decided to send aid through private organizations.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What everybody says is true, and I won't try to defend porking up a bill. I just want all to remember the sandy situation and lets see what happens now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What everybody says is true, and I won't try to defend porking up a bill. I just want all to remember the sandy situation and lets see what happens now that the shoe is on the other foot.

I'm sure the great Northeast states will do their constitutional duty and vote against it.

Someone tell me if Oklahoma's governor makes a big drama out of it like Jabba the Christy did.