Reman motor using oil

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back to the shop Monday to find out why I'm using oil on a new reman. Also no power going up hills empty or loaded. Using less oil this change then before.
Have to do this before warranty is up.

Reactions: neilblack

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reman motor, from freightliner for the sprinter.

Same experience here, and worse, with two of them. I bought mine thru Chrysler, remanufactured by Detroit Diesel in Kansas. The first one burned almost as much oil as fuel, like a quart every 1200 miles. Just about the time I convinced them to do an oil consumption study, the head gasket failed. They replaced the engine, but refused to pay the labor cost to exchange. I eventually got them to pay all but $450.00 of it. The second engine also uses oil, a quart in roughly 3,000 miles. I live with it....

However, what really frustrated me is that they rebuild these engines with used harmonic damper pulleys, a known weak spot. Mine failed at 40,000 miles on replacement engine #2. Chrysler refused to pay the $750.00 for that repair :dash1:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I would rather go to wayne rodd in toledo and get a engine for a sprinter than anyone else....he knows the engines and will track down a oil leak if one comes up.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wayne put a remanufactured head on the engine that was in the Sprinter when I bought it. It lasted 20k miles... He wouldn't answer the phone or return calls when I tried to reach him. The shop that replaced the engine (Dr A's associates) found several examples of shoddy workmanship by Wayne when they did the new engine swap. So, I, personally, have no use for him despite many others being pleased with his work.

FYI, there was/is no oil "leak". They just consume more oil than is typically seen.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, sitting here at Dallas freightliner waiting on word about van.

I decided to look at all these new sprinters and found 2 2015 3500's one regular WB for 49k and an extended for 50k. There SRW

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well, sitting here at Dallas freightliner waiting on word about van.

I decided to look at all these new sprinters and found 2 2015 3500's one regular WB for 49k and an extended for 50k. There SRW
Have you looked at the GVWR? It is a few hundred lbs over 10k. Useless for us.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Love how if no codes nothing is wrong, even if I'm using antifreeze and oil between oil changes on a new reman motor with 16k on the thing.