Religious Bigotry

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
http://www.religioustolerance.org/relbigot.htm

IMHO, many,if not all people could fit in the above definition.....it happens. Same for the definition of Racism. No matter how goody goody 2shoes you are, no matter how conservative you are, no matter how liberal you are, no one IMHO is really exempt from either definition. You , me or the rest of us are gonna step into bigotry or racism or have already stepped in it....guess what...Humans make errors, it is inevitable, your gonna do it, and speak it.

If you do not speak out about religious bigotry or racism, you most likely are thinking it. When you do make a racist comment or religious bigot comment, you gotta know, someone is gonna jump your cheese and in their mind, they get points, it is a never ending story...

And so, as Tiny Tim said, "A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one!" Author: Charles Dickens

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bigotry and hatred reside in all of us to one degree or another.

Most people regret any bigotry or hatred they have, unfortunately there are some among us who rejoice in their bigotry and hatred.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Let's not forget that two of the main themes running throughout the Bible are "religious exclusivity" and "religious intolerance." In addition to "love thy neighbor" the Bible also teaches you to shun and/or hate and/or kill followers of other religions. Other religions, such as Judaism and Islam, for example, have the same teachings.

So whether you love your neighbors or kill your neighbors is dependent on the whims of man's wants and desires, which is what religion is in the first place, since those whims can then be justified to a higher power.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Let's not forget that two of the main themes running throughout the Bible are "religious exclusivity" and "religious intolerance." In addition to "love thy neighbor" the Bible also teaches you to shun and/or hate and/or kill followers of other religions. Other religions, such as Judaism and Islam, for example, have the same teachings.

So whether you love your neighbors or kill your neighbors is dependent on the whims of man's wants and desires, which is what religion is in the first place, since those whims can then be justified to a higher power.

I maybe misunderstanding your first paragraph, but here is what the Bible says about your neighbor, hard to think this way when some of our neighbors are trying to kill us..

. . . Here it is Jesus
telling the Pharisee that the second greatest commandment was to love one’s neighbor as oneself, Jesus was referring to a specific law given to Israel. It is recorded at Leviticus 19:18. In that same chapter, the Jews were told that they should view others besides fellow Israelite's as their neighbors. Verse 34 states: “The alien resident who resides as an alien with you should become to you like a native of yours; and you must love him as yourself, for you became alien residents in the land of Egypt.” Thus, even non-Jews, especially the proselytes, were to be treated with love.
5 The Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day, however, saw the matter differently. Some taught that the terms “friend” and “neighbor” applied only to Jews. Non-Jews were to be hated. Such teachers reasoned that the godly must despise the godless. “In such an atmosphere,” says one reference work, “it was impossible for hatred to starve. It had plenty to feed on.”
6 In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus addressed this issue, shedding light on who should be treated with love. He said: “You heard that it was said, ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you; that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous.” (Matthew 5:43-45) Here Jesus made two points. First, Jehovah is generous and kind to both the good and the bad. Second, we should follow his example.
7 On another occasion, a Jew well-versed in the Law asked Jesus: “Who really is my neighbor?” Jesus responded by relating a parable that described a Samaritan who came across a man, a Jew, who had been assaulted by robbers and stripped of his possessions. Even though Jews in general despised Samaritans, the Samaritan dressed the man’s wounds and brought him to the safety of an inn, where he could recover. The lesson? Our love of neighbor should extend to people other than those of our own race, nationality, or religion.—Luke 10:25, 29, 30, 33-37.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Chapter and verse please
Are you serious? You've never read the Bible?

This is just a partial list. I'm surprised you haven't come across any of these while perusing your Bible.

Kill those who are not Christian or Jewish:
You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20
Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10
Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16
Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7
Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13
Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20
Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11
Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5

Ignorance is bliss. Christians should not practice free inquiry nor socialize with non Christians:
Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10
Shun those who disagree with your religious views. Romans 16:17
Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8

Judge other religions for not following Christ:

Whoever denies “that Jesus is the Christ” is a liar and an anti-Christ. 1 John 2:22
Christians are “of God;” everyone else is wicked. 1 John 5:19
The non-Christian is “a deceiver and an anti-Christ” 2 John 1:7
Anyone who doesn’t share Paul’s beliefs has “an evil heart.” Hebrews 3:12
False Jews are members of “the synagogue of Satan.” Revelations 2:9, 3:9

And:
Everyone will have to worship Jesus -- whether they want to or not. Philippians 2:10
A Christian can not be accused of any wrongdoing. Romans 8:33

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wish I was sitting right next to you I would explain it all to you but at my typing speed it would take 4 hours to type it

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wish I was sitting right next to you I would explain it all to you but at my typing speed it would take 4 hours to type it
Trust me, there is nothing you can explain that I haven't heard or read before. And anything you explain is merely one's interpretation of those verses. Verses are always taken in context or out of context depending on how you want to interpret them and what you need them say.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
quote-i-m-free-of-all-prejudices-i-hate-everyone-equally-w-c-fields-61751.jpg

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Against my better judgment, going to comment over here...

Turtle wrote: "Verses are always taken in context or out of context depending on how you want to interpret them and what you need them say"

If you take a Bible verse out of the context, you are going to make it say whatever you want it to say and that is likely going to be a wrong interpretation. Context is key in all cases, you can't just pull a verse out without knowing the context, who the audience was, what is being communicated, etc. If you have a viewpoint and then say I am going to find a verse in the Bible to support that idea, you will find it, entire sermons are preached incorrectly based on that incorrect thinking.

Back to less volatile threads!

SHG

Reactions: Turtle

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
What can a Christian humorist do with his spare time? Write epic songs , of course. Mark Lowry wrote the lyrics to "Mary Did You Know?" in 1984 and the song remained dormant for many years. Popularized by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd(Judd being another fine Appalachian singer from Eastern Kentucky).

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I will discuss politics, religion or whatever with friends, you are all may be friends, but mostly we are all just faceless people banging on a keyboard. The reason I don't usually comment over here is it changes no opinions and has the potential for alienating some faceless person should we some day meet. Some other forums I visit have just vile stuff spewing forth from individuals that would probably sit down and have a meal together and good conversation, but not likely if you have alienated them discussing topics on a politics or religion side of a forum. The same could be said no matter what your political or religious beliefs (I don't think Christianity has any exclusivity in this context), quite honestly, my beliefs are best manifested to those I come in contact with in person, they can see in person if you are the real deal or a phony.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The song has been recorded many times by many artists, but this one may be the best. It charted 26 on the Billboard Top 100, easily surpassing all others.

Reactions: aristotle