Refer truck

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Hi all. Another question from the frozen North. Is it possible to buy a 24ft reefer straight truck and use it for refer loads and non-refer loads if there isn't any ref freight you could haul regular non hazmat freight. Just trying to cover all the angles and get a truck that is versatile.
Thanks
Dan

TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME

elton10

Expert Expediter
as Greg said: yes. Im co-driver on a DR unit and less than half our loads are reefer loads. You can haul hazmat too if you have the endorsement.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Reponses thus far to your question are correct. Please let me add this. We also run a DR (reefer) unit.

Most reefer boxes we see out here are 22' inside demins. A 24' reefer box in a used expedite truck may be a bit hard to find, but you can order them if you are building up a truck. Keep in mind, since D and Dr units are limited to 40' total length, the size of your sleeper will be dictated by the size of the box, liftgate,etc Also, since reefer boxes have thicker walls, the average inside width of the boxes run 93-95 inches. You wont get 48x48 pallets in side by side.The most you will be able to carry is five 48x48, but you will be able to fit ten 40x48's. Just food for thought.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for the info. on the refer truck. I am going to Vegas next week to the truck Expo.

Dan
take it one day at a time

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Actually, a straight truck is limited to 40 foot in some states. Other states have limits to 60 or 65 foot. 40 foot is a Carrier imposed length limit. There is a difference.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
as Greg said: yes. Im co-driver on a DR unit and less than half our loads are reefer loads. You can haul hazmat too if you have the endorsement.
===========================================
If the loads ran are half, I would see little reason to invest unless you are getting reefer rates on all loaded miles.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

elton10

Expert Expediter
>as Greg said: yes. Im co-driver on a DR unit and less than
>half our loads are reefer loads. You can haul hazmat too if
>you have the endorsement.
>===========================================
>If the loads ran are half, I would see little reason to
>invest unless you are getting reefer rates on all loaded
>miles.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Davekc
>owner
>21 years
>PantherII
>EO moderator

Dave
That was my response to the question. Im a contract driver(co-driver) for an owner in an older unit. Just my experience in the few weeks Ive been running was less than half the loads were reefer runs.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Seems to me that the most common size skid I see these days are the 45x48 varieties. I rarely see a 48x48 anymore.