Recruiters please answer this question

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
The question I have is as follows

Can I buy a van and lease it on without having a good driving record ?

I'll post what's on my driving record and when it falls off . This should give you a little more to go on to be able to tell me an honest answer. If it would affect me leasing on please explain why since I'd be the one carring my insurance .

I have ....

Speeding 3 points ( clears off my record 2/13 )
Speeding 4 points ( clears off my record 7/13 )
Ran stop sign 3 points ( clears off my record 12/13 )
Failure to obey traffic device 3 points ( clears off my record 12/14 )

My last ticket was Dec 2011 . Florida holds points against you for three years from the date you pay the fine .

Please RECRUITERS respond and tell me what you think would be best for me to do .

I don't care you hear from other drivers that can't help me .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Very few carriers will lease on anyone with more than two moving violations within the previous three years (the reasoning is, you got caught twice, but how many times did you NOT get caught?). You're carrying the insurance on your vehicle and the freight, but the carrier has their own insurance to deal with, and those insurers set guidelines for the drivers leased to a carrier. There is also the issue of any traffic violations or accidents that happen with a leased driver driving under the carrier's authority, which also count against the carrier, which in turn causes the carrier's insurance to rise and their CSA 2010 scores to go up. FMCSA regulations also require that carriers not knowingly put unsafe drivers on the road, and more than two moving violations in a three year period is considered an unsafe driver by both insurance companies and the FMCSA.

I realize that's not the answer your looking for, but it is nevertheless help.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
To be honest, if you didnt want drivers opinions, I wouldnt have posted this question in a forum that is mostly drivers, but would have contacted the specific carriers that you were interested in. If you are just searching for one that would take you they more than likely wont be the right carrier for you.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

yayashas

Seasoned Expediter
The hardest to get and most expensive thing probably would be your insurance and as far as signing on with someone you will have better chance with small cariers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What are some of the smaller carriers ?

The ones that don't advertise on EO.
You'll see their vans around, with a name you never heard of, and if you can catch the driver, they can tell you about them.
As Turtle mentioned, CSA is making carriers much more careful about the drivers' records, so you're in a tough spot as far as driving for a living goes. Even the smallest noname carriers have to have insurance coverage, and you can't get your own authority/customers without it - insurance rules us all.

guido4475

Not a Member
The question I have is as follows

Can I buy a van and lease it on without having a good driving record ?

I'll post what's on my driving record and when it falls off . This should give you a little more to go on to be able to tell me an honest answer. If it would affect me leasing on please explain why since I'd be the one carring my insurance .

I have ....

Speeding 3 points ( clears off my record 2/13 )
Speeding 4 points ( clears off my record 7/13 )
Ran stop sign 3 points ( clears off my record 12/13 )
Failure to obey traffic device 3 points ( clears off my record 12/14 )

My last ticket was Dec 2011 . Florida holds points against you for three years from the date you pay the fine .

Please RECRUITERS respond and tell me what you think would be best for me to do .

I don't care you hear from other drivers that can't help me .

Maybe a different occupation may be in you're best interest, with a driving record with that many violations? Just sayin'

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
Maybe a different occupation may be in you're best interest, with a driving record with that many violations? Just sayin'

I can see a few people didn't complete schooling . I put this under " ask the recruiter " for a reason . If I had put it under " ask the driver " I'd understand you commenting .

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can see a few people didn't complete schooling . I put this under " ask the recruiter " for a reason . If I had put it under " ask the driver " I'd understand you commenting .

Dude - you're shooting the messenger when you don't like the message. No one who replied is a recruiter [including Turtle], but the fact is your driving record is going to disqualify you from insurance coverage with any reputable carrier. And their insurance matters, even if you get your own, because if an accident occurs, the lawyers will go after everyone with even a remote connection.
The question I'd be asking is whether it will matter next year, when most of the violations fall off, because until then, you're toast [as a driver] IMO.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Some companies need drivers.

Good companies want good drivers.

The best companies want the best drivers.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Please don't shoot the Moose!, but...
have you considered local carrier ?, maybe Currier service ?, intrastate carriers some times can help you when interstate carriers can't.
it will help if you tell us what part of Florida.
i don't think we ever had a solo driver from F.L that survive this industry for too long, there's a rezone !. not much freight going out, and the little that do go out is either dirt cheap, or placed on a team truck.
also, IF you are willing to drive big truck, then the large carriers will send you to a CDL school and give you a truck almost regardless of your driving(or criminal) record.
that'll get your foot in the door.

Ccochran09

Active Expediter
Please don't shoot the Moose!, but...
have you considered local carrier ?, maybe Currier service ?, intrastate carriers some times can help you when interstate carriers can't.
it will help if you tell us what part of Florida.
i don't think we ever had a solo driver from F.L that survive this industry for too long, there's a rezone !. not much freight going out, and the little that do go out is either dirt cheap, or placed on a team truck.
also, IF you are willing to drive big truck, then the large carriers will send you to a CDL school and give you a truck almost regardless of your driving(or criminal) record.
that'll get your foot in the door.

I'm in Polk county Florida . It's in the middle of Tampa and Orlando .

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Ccochran09;

Alas, a safety director and recruiter all wrapped up into one to your rescue.

From what you are telling me of your MVR, I would say that you might be eligible for hire at some carriers after next month when you have a violation come off, and be down to three violations. You would most likely be placed on a probationary period for say 6 months to a year, or until that third violation is removed.

That said, I cannot tell you exactly what would or will happen. The best advise I can give is to apply to the companies you are interested in. Please fully complete their application, and be sure to sign the application and any release forms that are needed. Then and only then will you find if you will be hired or not.

I wish you luck in your Expedite ventures.