Recruiters, contracting with drivers with disabilites?

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Due the new Regulations from the FMCSA concerning Medical Waiver requirements, I was wondering if ther are any companies that are willing to contract with Drivers that are restricted to Intrastate Operations only. In my case, I have limited vision in my left eye, which has not caused any probems with driving. I have a very good driving record.

The new ruling prohibits Drivers with "Monoclure Vision" from obtaining the required Visual Exception Waiver, resulting in Intrastate operations only. This new ruling disqualifies many capible drivers from Interstate driving, though they have perfect driving records.

What is your Companies policy concerning this issue, since many good drivers may be eliminated from having the opportunity to work with you?

Please comment.

Last edited:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Joe;

The state you live in, the size of truck you drive, and a carrier's need for that size truck in the state you reside would determine hiring possibilities with the carriers. If the need was there, why wouldn't a carrier hire you to do intra-state operations.

Smack that darn curve ball out of the park brother.

Thanks,

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
I am Located in Richmond Virginia and have a small Nissan pickup truck. Will need to lease or drive company vehicle, I do not have s CDL. Virginia does not reguire a cdl or MC Authority to drive a vehicle under 26,001 lbs or pull a load less than10,000 lbs. I got the DOT and my MC Authority comes active this Friday. MC Authority is required to accept freight from Ocean ports and Airports. I have 1 mil. Liability and 100k cargo insurance, and have FAA cargo clearence.

I applied to many expediting companies and was told I needed a Class B CDL, the insurance, and most importantly ability to cross state lines. The courier companies pay rate will barely cover expences, I dont work for free.

I made the decision to take matters in my own hands and try to make a living transporting freight and see if the contacts made from my three years working for a freight forwarding company could use my services. If I could sell and had the money for the Surity Bond, would try brokering.

I live minuites from RIC airport, with in 3 hrs. From 4 other airports, two ocean ports, at least three large military bases, and Virginia has a lot of freight to be moved.

Now I do stand a better chance, but the problem is finding a company that needs Intrastate. I do have trouble taking NO for an answer and will stop at nothing to make things happen.
Too bad I wasn't younger, but who knows I may be able to follow Estes model. They started out delivering farm supplies in SW Virginia at a time when that area was mostly farm land.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would cancel your insurance until you have work why waste the money. You also should not need an mc number or that stuff if you want to work for a carrier.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
Get your class B and pick a carrier and xiggi is right, money lost there on that stuff that's not needed if you going to work for a carrier.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Xiggi is 100% correct, but I may be able to be able to do this if I can find a way around the Truck expense problem. I need to talk to acouple of old coworkers to see if I could be a contract on demand driver where I could lease one of the trucks from the leasing department to save them money on grabbing hot freight to tail load on trucks moving on the Hub runs on regular LTL. The Vendor Manager, Head of Eastern Operations, and Sales VP like me.