Recommend inverter?

Kurt sauers

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I just started expiditing last year and am still putting my transit. looking for an inverter around 750 to 1000 watts. What do you recommend?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Any of the power drive inverters at truck stops work fine stay away from harbor freight stuuff

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a trip light, not cheap but never failed me. If you get home to pickup packages much read some online reviews, you can save ordering online. That size won't run a microwave or probably even an electric skillet. I would suggest choosing what size you think you need then go bigger.

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
last year I finally got a True sine invertor....what a difference from the truck stop ones that are a Modified signal....at least I can microwave for short bursts and longer bursts have to start the van...BUT they are expensive...
Like xiggi said....figure what you want to do with it and go a size bigger....

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any of the power drive inverters at truck stops work fine stay away from harbor freight stuuff

I'm using a cheap 650 watt inverter from Harbor Freight as a dedicated unit just to power my refrigerator. Been 7 months with no problem. Plus I added a separate 300 watt pure sine wave inverter to power my TV and other electronics. Got the pure sine inverter from Northern Tool. Again, no problems with that one either.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm using a cheap 650 watt inverter from Harbor Freight as a dedicated unit just to power my refrigerator. Been 7 months with no problem. Plus I added a separate 300 watt pure sine wave inverter to power my TV and other electronics. Got the pure sine inverter from Northern Tool. Again, no problems with that one either.
Bill...is that a REAL fridge...like a mini bar fridge?...

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Pure sine way is really the way to go but I've had not any problems with my modified sine wave inverter it does the job on my tv 21 watts and my iPad supply 155 watts and has 2 sbu outputs for iphone and keyboard charging. I don't use a micro or crock pot or even skillet I prefer to be served food already cooked!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pure sine way is really the way to go but I've had not any problems with my modified sine wave inverter it does the job on my tv 21 watts and my iPad supply 155 watts and has 2 sbu outputs for iphone and keyboard charging. I don't use a micro or crock pot or even skillet I prefer to be served food already cooked!

I use a generator for the microwave. And I wired a battery charger into the electrical system so anytime the generator is running, the house batteries are being charged. May get a large inverter in the future so I could run the microwave off the batteries with the van running.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Weeellll, I'm not too sure about that. Granted, the Harbor Freight stuff is crap, that much is true. As for the ones found at truck stops, it depends. If you're a really big fan of the quality of RoadPro stuff, then the PowerDrive brand inverters are for you, because that's who makes them.

As for size, you need to know the total wattage of the things you'll run at the same time, then add another 20% (because one of the surest ways to cause an early death is to continuously (for than 5 minutes) run the inverter within 20% of its max continuous capacity). Then round up to find the size inverter you'll need. For example, if you know you're going to max out at 1000 Watts, then add the 20% to make it 1200 Watts, then round up to (probably) a 1500 Watt inverter.

Inverters, as with most electronics, you get what you pay for. Quality is directly correlated to price.

Looking at 1000W-1800W inverters, on the minimal acceptable quality you have:
Wagan
Energizer (manufactured by Power Bright)
Power Bright
Cobra
Samlex

On the considerably higher quality end you've got:
Trip-Lite
Go Power!
Xantrex

Then there's the really high end stuff like Outback Power and Magnum.

Pure sine wave inverters (which exactly replicates household current) are priced 2 to 5 times that of a modified sine wave inverter of the same wattage. PSW inverters are incredibly efficient (instead of a 10% loss in the converter process they are closer to a 1% loss). One cup of water takes 2 minutes to boil in a microwave running on a MSW inverter, but only 1 minute on a PSW inverter. Many laptops (HP in particular) will either not even run off a MSW inverter, or the laptop battery will be damaged over time (within 6-12 months) and will have to be replaced. The same "over time" damage is true for many of the newer, fancy techie gadgets like some LED TVs, camera batteries, tool batteries. The gadgets like cell phones and tablets that already come with car chargers, those are fine on a MSW inverter.

Reactions: Scargo

SamCF

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
New guy here, but I've been thru many inverters over the years. The Xantrex ProWatt 2000 is the best bang for the buck. True Sine Wave and plenty of power for the microwave and all other electronics.

I already had one, so I wired it in as a backup in my truck.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 1500 watt Go Power !
Expensive and worth every penny!

This is powered by two, 214 ah 6 volt AGM batteries, charged from alternator via Hellroaring Technologies isolator, with remote switch for auto/manual charging as well as manual disconnect. I also keep a battery charger connected so that I can charge batteries from generator, when it's running.

Go Power! 1500 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter - at InvertersrUs

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 1500 watt Go Power !
Expensive and worth every penny!

This is powered by two, 214 ah 6 volt AGM batteries, charged from alternator via Hellroaring Technologies isolator, with remote switch for auto/manual charging as well as manual disconnect. I also keep a battery charger connected so that I can charge batteries from generator, when it's running.

Go Power! 1500 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter - at InvertersrUs

I ordered my 1500 watt from them and they accidently sent me a 2500 watt...nice Christmas gift...

Reactions: ysracer

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I used to work for the military doing night vision/infrared sensor testing.

The only thing that would survive for any period of time inside of an M2 Bradley, M60A3, or a HMMWV was a Trip-Lite. Cheap converters had a lifespan measured in minutes. You could get 6 months out of a Trip-lite before you let the smoke out of it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Anyone use this inverter? Mine bit the dust after 11 years. Coleman 2000 watt did its job great. RIP Coleman.

2000 Watt Power Inverter by AIMS
I don't have any experience with that one specifically. I had a 3000W pure sine wave AIMS inverter that worked great, but a nut inside the box (that held the Positive terminal in place) worked loose, rattled around inside, shorted and fried the thing. I know 3 other people who have had problems with AIMS inverters where they'd fail prematurely, and there are horror stories all over the net about them. I also know a distributor who had an entire pallet of AIMS inverters that were bad and were set to be returned. However, my experience, and those of my friends, as well as the horror stories, are all from before 2010 or so, and the more recent reviews and experiences online are much more favorable. I'd buy one now.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have any experience with that one specifically. I had a 3000W pure sine wave AIMS inverter that worked great, but a nut inside the box (that held the Positive terminal in place) worked loose, rattled around inside, shorted and fried the thing. I know 3 other people who have had problems with AIMS inverters where they'd fail prematurely, and there are horror stories all over the net about them. I also know a distributor who had an entire pallet of AIMS inverters that were bad and were set to be returned. However, my experience, and those of my friends, as well as the horror stories, are all from before 2010 or so, and the more recent reviews and experiences online are much more favorable. I'd buy one now.

I don't need much out of it. Decided to go with the one on the rewards page. Just need it to last a few more years. I will check the internal fuse's on the Colman. But , being hit with that Ozone smell I think it's gone.

Thanks for the feedback on the Aims.

tknight

Veteran Expediter

As a person of electronics background and transport of all types of gear audio power or high Teck moving lights for concert use I recommend anything built outside of the United States be taken apart upon purchase every screw tightened and glyptoled called in place it's very similar to Loctite but it's removable very easily you can also use nail polish this stuff rattles apart and a truck and you need to make sure everything is tight from day one I do it all my equipment and have very few failures

Reactions: NorthernBill