Read and Research then ask questions

Coxco700

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I'm Dan and I've been with Expediters Online since 2009. But I have not gone to the forums before this. So for now, I'll read the info in the forums, and then if I have a newbie question, I'll put it out there. I've got 12 years experience driving trucks. I have a small machine shop in my back yard pole barn and when I'm at home I enjoy building things and making repairs to something instead of throwing it away and sending it to the landfill. When it's worn out or used up, then get rid of it. I enjoy doing things away from the "rig" during on my time off from driving a truck to make a living. The authorities at the Local, State and Federal level seem to regard trucks and drivers as a "cash cow" to augment their funds without taxing their constituents. I've found this industry to be very regulated. With Sat/Nav your every move is recorded as soon as you start your diesel engine and the computer on your cab roof boots up and sends a signal to be recorded by the ever present computer and the eye in the sky satellite. While I enjoy driving for the most part, I like to see myself as a "paid tourist" who gets to see the world from behind a windshield. Spending my working days in an office building, or going inside the same four walls in a factory or manufacturing plant and dealing with the same people every day is a mind numbing experience. As a solo driver, I can enjoy my music, my audio books and whats going on down the highway, after a successful pickup and delivery transaction, I can take my time off and relax.:cool:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure how people adjust to working in an office or factory.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm not sure how people adjust to working in an office or factory.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Easy: contemplate your life without a paycheck. :eek: It kept me punching the time clock [even at 0430!] for 8 years, when I hated every single minute of it. And I'd still be there, if they hadn't closed the doors.
A really bad day expediting still beats a really good day [snort] in the factory!

PS Welcome, Dan!

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
Driving is the most regulated industry out there, I've often struggled with the ideal of just doing something else but, it is what it is. I also see it picking up new people all the time so there must be something to it. I guess I found my niche in it so I'm happy.

hookertrash

Rookie Expediter
It is kinda nice to be within walking distance of home ,but I'd go crazy in a box all day every day, I prefer the great outdoors.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is kinda nice to be within walking distance of home ,but I'd go crazy in a box all day every day, I prefer the great outdoors.

If I did make a New Years Resolution, it would be to continue the prior years. Do whatever it takes to stay outside the box :)

races

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a solo driver, I can enjoy my music, my audio books and whats going on down the highway, after a successful pickup and delivery transaction, I can take my time off and relax.:cool:

the new american dream!

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Reminds me of the kid who didn't say a word till he was 6 years old. When asked why he hadn't spoken sooner he replied "Didn't have nothing to say". Good to see you have broken your silence I shall refer to you as the "Monk".

So what do you drive and who for? If you don't mind my asking.