Rates and Rants

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok. Think we need a thread to vent. (Well I do)

Last year was awesome, this year a race to the bottom. What gives? Apparently consumer confidence is at its highest since xxx

Lots of people say don't expect more than 70c. I've got all the work I could possibly do at 1.20 +. Doesn't matter where I work, the point is I see carriers who employ owner ops trying to keep too much. So just post something, as much info as you want to give without giving away your niche.

Let's dispel all these myths so we can negotiate as a group better and set our pricing. (You need a 5 year or newer van would be one I'd like to see go. I'm willing to buy, pay more) we don't need to organize, if we say no to crap eventually they'll stop calling us with crap rates

I talk to 2 drivers at one carrier...one is around 70c and one won't go below 95c. Funny thing is the 95c gets more work because he says no...they save the 70c guy for the cheap loads because he'll do it

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh this thread should keep you Canadians busy ... Poke/Poke
I heard there is a Canadian in El Paso with his Tongue bleeding because he is biting it so hard ...
And the Wild 1 is DH home today so EO has been slow for Post count ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Reactions: brokcanadian

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess expectations are everything. If your expecting not much more then 70c you will most likely get it.
Just goes back to the old what are you going to run for?
Everyone's situation is different. For me, 70c is a get me the he'll out of here rate. Not something I'd want to make a living off of.
On average more then 80% of my loads pay 90c to a buck or more a mile. But in the end, it all depends on who you are with and what you expect to get.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard there is a Canadian in El Paso with his Tongue bleeding because he is biting it so
Expedite is awesome, that's why we do it. The desire to get out is understandable, but there's nothing checking the carriers from making an extra buck on you (save the magic word no) or bidding on stuff they know they can't do and taking a cut as it passes thru their fingers

I solved the problem by quitting expedite, I don't want to wait to see how this plays out. Lots of work for me as soon as insurance gets their head out of their ass

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess expectations are everything. If your expecting not much more then 70c you will most likely get it.
Just goes back to the old what are you going to run for?
I'm just floored by the idea that you can refuse a price and they call back later and give you what you wanted. Why didn't they offer that first?!? Games waste time. And I know the answer is some drivers will say yes = more money for the carrier

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This would qualify as a rant more than rate...

Interesting developments across the border here...i know at least 2 companies being forced to put fleet insurance on their O/O or they can't bid...interesting way to solve the insurance question! Anybody seen that yet in USA?

Personally I want to be removed, as in own plate, own insurance. Makes it more difficult to take freight for another company when you're on their plates and insurance

Over here if you get chosen for a tax audit, having less than 5 clients can open you up for a whack of fines after being judged an "employee" ...when you're free to come and go as you please with any carrier / broker they can't pull that

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Waiting for OVM to tell me you can't say what somebody should run for we're all independent what works for them they should be allowed to run for that yada yada :pokepoke:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dare I say any offer under $1 should be ignored?

What year is it? How much does a new van cost as opposed to 10 years ago? Has insurance gone up or gone down? If you have a residence, have your costs gone up for utilities and taxes or gone down? If you rent, has it gone down? Is your food cheaper?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should we as expediters be paid more or less for being on call 24/7 and driving in all types of weather than the office staff sleeping in their own bed at night (lol) or the local drivers that do the same?

For me, the 70c thing triggered a move to local

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please tell me that's US $
Of course it is.
Thank you. Proves my point, and btw 5c above what the last driver I know left there for last week

Of course another driver left for an amount so low I don't want to repeat it (ok 65c a mile this is a rants and rates)
I don't know if you were here last year about this time but I was in El Paso and trying to get home by that Friday afternoon. Load offers started to come out early, 3 different loads came out almost simultaneously. One to Greenville tn, one to Georgetown ky and one to Toledo oh. Decided to go with the Toledo load because it was the longest and closest to my house. Dispatcher says we can probably get this load for you at .50/mi and I said what are you crazy and she said that's what loads are going for out of that area. Reluctantly I took the load at .50/mi. To this day I am still steamed at taking that load for that rate. It was really hard looking at that settlement sheet the next week when I got paid. After fuel and expenses I cleared about $400 for that load. Would I do it again? I don't know, I haven't been back to El Paso or Laredo since then.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Should we as expediters be paid more or less for being on call 24/7 and driving in all types of weather than the office staff sleeping in their own bed at night (lol) or the local drivers that do the same?
Most of us are business owners and 24/7 is part of owning a business. If you want to work Monday-Friday, 9 to 5, get a real job and be an employee. Steady wages, regular hours, insurance etc.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of us are business owners and 24/7 is part of owning a business. If you want to work Monday-Friday, 9 to 5, get a real job and be an employee. Steady wages, regular hours, insurance etc.
Trying to make a point, Moot :p

The former management of a well known company I used to work for, and its ilk, were fully aware their practices would force drivers to below minimum wage rates. Some drivers quit, some went bankrupt, some sued. The contracts were repeatedly broken to puff up bonuses for office staff. It's over, at least at that company.

What I see now is freight being passed thru many sets of hands until the "carriers" with no "trucks" are actually worried they might have to honor their contractual obligation and make sure it gets delivered. That's when it hits our vans.

I'm an independent business owner. This may be a moot point I'm making, Moot. If I wanted a 9-5 I would be there. Everybody is free to do anything they want, and they will. And I will be freely telling the carriers to shove these low prices up their ass, even if it means I stay home.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have a question for Mr BC, you talk about not running freight cheap (as a Canadian) but would you Expediters of the North be getting more because you do cross border runs. That is, if you were sitting in Toledo bidding in a run to Charlotte would you be able to say "I won't do it for less than a dollar"?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its likely I would not. Some Americans don't want anything to do with the border. Is it because of our $4 a gallon gas and $15 takeout meals? I dunno

Locals here are all paying over 1.20 US tho. This thread is just a rant of mine, mostly over the fact that I can't make a decent rate over in the US anymore and I want to. I've decided its because there are too many fingers in the pie but I really have no idea what I'm talking about and am fully aware of that fact.

I don't have any solutions. I'd like to see us as a whole leave the freight on the docks until the rates raise. Won't happen, I know that.

It's too bad expedite is turning out the way it is. For me, there's always bee farming or organic livestock raising I guess

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm getting a small hint that some may be upset about the rates as well, and thinking I'm trying to tell them what to do as a driver.

This is aimed more at carriers. Its my way of saying smarten up before you force everybody out and have no option but to buy equipment and hire employees.

If that made a carrier more money, they'd do it. Owner operators are a lot of trouble but we keep the expenses off the books and the profits on. I daresay we care a little more than most employees as well