Ratcheting Tie Downs

NancyD

New Recruit
Driver
I’m looking for some information regarding the best way to safely secure freight in a Ford Transit cargo van, without e-tracks. It seems every load there is a struggle to figure out how to keep it from shifting. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Straps and more straps. Transits have securement bolts spaced along each wall, as you probably have noticed. Can't always strap from one side directly to the other, so you may have to make an X across the freight with two straps. With no E-track, you have to secure skids from slamming forward. Use a strap across the front of the pallet and secure to floor bolts. Don't strap high across the front of the freight stack as it may cause damage to freight. Or run strap through back of pallet and secure so it can't slide forward. Sometimes a length of 2 by 4 placed on floor between freight and wheel-well prevents shifting but then you have a potential hazard of flying wood if in a wreck/emergency stop.
Multiple straps, multiple lengths, rated for heavy loads, at least one long enough to hook on a forklift to pull pallet out from front of cargo area, and one long enough to go from floor over a tall stack and to other floor. Seriously consider getting e-track. That's my 2 cents. I'm sure others can offer better ideas as well.
Good luck.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m looking for some information regarding the best way to safely secure freight in a Ford Transit cargo van, without e-tracks. It seems every load there is a struggle to figure out how to keep it from shifting. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Why don't you want to use E-Track?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't find any photos but I put a 3/4" plywood floor in my van. I cut it into 3 sections, 14, 20 and 14 wide. I put the 20 down the center of the van and two strips of etrack down in the space on either side of the 20 and then the 14's next to that. I had to cut notches for the wheel wells. It worked great. I had custom made ratchet straps from Lodi Metals. I had them made with the ratchet only 6 inches from the etrack clip. I had one pair that was 10' long and one pair 18' long. I strapped pretty much everything in an X placement. That was in a G3500. If I had a high roof van I'd probably have 3 sets of straps, 10', 18' and maybe 26'. I'd have enough length to go up from floor to roof height, the length of my cargo area and back down to the floor on the longest set.

Whatever you do, Lodi Metals is the place to get your straps. They are HEAVY duty and WELL made.

Reactions: Treadmill and Moot

Load Thief

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Promaster vans have D rings attached to the floor already and so do some Transits.vans...you can get etrack at harbor freight for 20.00 I think its 5 ft....some self taping screws and your done...do spray with rubberized undercoat where the screws come thru under the van to prevent rust....other than the d rings its not going to be easy .... if your going to stay in the business I would highly recommend you put them in.