questions

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I have been reading all the post for a while now but from a recruiters stand point what is the best way for someone to break into the expedite world. I have a Cdl B with air brake do I need a Haz-mat will it benefit me the most. Is it easy to contact a recruiter and find out about fleet owners looking for drivers. Do I need to run as a team, can I make it as a solo. What are the questions I need to ask when I start looking for a company to sign on with.

PantherRecrtr

Expert Expediter
Hello,
That is probably the most common question we get when we are talking to a person for the first time. I feel that it is not a bad idea to drive for a fleet owner first. There are a lot of variables involved with starting your own business. You are able to cut them down considerably when you are already familiar with the companies program before commiting to buying a truck. We do have plenty of good fleet owners who are looking for both solo and team operaters. Now if you have a family member or a close friend already in the industry and you are familiar with the with company's program, then I would feel more comfortable telling someone to go out and purchase a truck.

Hope this helps.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Ditto on the response from pantherrecrtr. I would just like to add that most of the larger expediters do require you to get your hazmat endorsement. If it is not too much of a hastle for you, you might want to consider taking the test. Also, most of the expediting companies if not all allow fleet owners and either the recruiters or someone in qualifications will have a list of fleet owners looking for singles or teams in any type of vehicle. Do you need to run team? My opinion is usually dependant on the individual. Couple things; Where do you live? Can you team with someone you wouldn't mind shareing a small quarters with for a couple weeks at a time? How much money do you need to make? If at all possible, a spouse (if you can stand each other enough) is the ideal situation as far as income is concerned for either owner operator status or driver status. Remember, if you were to drive for an owner operator and had a co-driver, you will be slicing the pie three ways. Is there enough income that can be generated to make all parties happy?
There are a lot of questions that can be asked when looking for a company to sign on with. I do believe there are some older posts that covered most of them.

Good Luck,

ABC