Questions about starting a transportation business with an E250 Extended Cargo Van

BCGriggs

Rookie Expediter
Hello, I am a 26 year old that is motivated about this topic.
I have a full-time job doing timber frame construction but would like to get information on starting weekend business transporting items. Potentially leading into a full-time transportation company.

My father bought new truck and gave me the van I am referring to.

I would like to have your input about this idea I have.
It's a 2003 Ford E250 Extended Cargo Van with 150,000 miles that is in great shape.

I have always had side jobs going on even with my full-time job.
It would be awesome if I could get out of the intense labor side jobs I do on most weekends.

So, what is the market like for this type of service?
I would like to have a maximum roundtrip distance of 700 miles ...
Does that sound plausible?
Also, I live in Boone, NC.

Is there money to be made with this service I'd offer?
I am not looking to "get rich quick".

Any information is greatly appreciated.

I understand that I would need liability insurance so the items I transport would be covered incase of an accident.

Are there any sites that have jobs I could look over?
I figure that there would be a site online for drivers to find jobs.

Like I said, I would like to work for myself but if it is wise to work for a company, let me know.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Re: Questions about starting a transportation business with an E250 Extended Cargo Va

this is not a weekend type of business, most weekends are dead for most all types of vehicles in expedite, especially cargo vans, which are saturated in this business anyway.

but good luck, and you may have better success in the courier type of business, you can google couriers in your area as a starting search point.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Re: Questions about starting a transportation business with an E250 Extended Cargo Va

this is not a weekend type of business, most weekends are dead for most all types of vehicles in expedite, especially cargo vans, which are saturated in this business anyway.

but good luck, and you may have better success in the courier type of business, you can google couriers in your area as a starting search point.

Very well said. I'd look for a local courier/package service. Freight drys up on the weekends.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

HEY I WILL TRADE JOBS WITH YA. You can even get my van.

One will never what this business is like until he gets into it and sees for himself.