Question on DOT Physicals

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I have a question regarding DOT physicals and the handicapped? What is the guidelines if anybody knows with regards to the handicapped and what all they are still required to be able to do to pass a DOT physical? We have a tractor driver sitting next to us parked in a handicapped spot and does have a handicapped tag for his window. The only reason I'm asking is he is leaking antifreeze out of his bunk heater a ton. We tried to knock on his door to let him know but he didn't get up for us. Another driver walking by saw this as well and told the manager inside the FLying J here in Ft. Campbell, KY. The maint. lady came out and looked and knocked harder on his sleeper and let him know. She later told us that when he got up and came to the window he had an oxygen mask on. He then climed down and walked around to this side of his truck which is the side next to us and looked at the antifreeze. He was hardly able to breathe off his oxygen just for this short little walk. He was huffing and puffing up a storm and looked like he was going to pass out. He then lifted his hood and looked and then slammed his hood back down and climbed back in his truck and back to his sleeper like he doesn't care about the leak and the massive amount of antifeeze on the ground.
This is where my question comes into play. How much does a handicapped person have to be able to do to pass a DOT physical? And is an oxygen mask and tank legal to carry in the sleeper of a truck?

Thanks and have fun on this one guys, but please keep it nice! LOL

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Actually I'd say it was probably a sleep apnea mask, which is very common. That is allowed, but is a separate issue from not being able to breath while standing up.

As for the handicapped issue, handicapped people can indeed get a waiver to drive a truck as long as they can perform the duties their company requires of them. I've known of different paraplegic drivers in wheelchairs, who drove specially equipped trucks. A few years back we had an article on here about a driver, Clayton King who drove an Expediter equipped with a wheel chair lift, and special flooring that didn't absorb oil, etc. One of the biggest problems he faced was fueling and most docks are obviously not handicapped equipped.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well judging by the way he was hardly able to breathe I really do think it was an oxygen mask. Thanks

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There are alot of what ifs that could come into play. What if he had bronchoitis or something and the oxygen was a temporary thing? I know that is a big what if, but I guess it's possible. He could have asthma and be taking a breathing treatment. My father in law has copd and if he has to stop a breathing treatment in the midde of it he is winded pretty bad. I ran into an expediter once in a straight truck with a disabled tag. He got it because he had a bad knee and just got it replaced. He was on a cane. Therefore he could get a closer spot if he was lucky enough to find a truckstop with a handicap spot that his truck would fit in.

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
All you need to pass a DOT physical is to have a doctor sign the paperwork. If you can find one to write a script for narcotics, getting one to sign a DOT physical should not be hard.

The truck was probably a company truck, and reimbursed the driver for antifreeze but would not pay to have the truck replaced. I ran into this when I did road service.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
[Sad see it way to much the I DO NOT GIVE A CRAP it ain't my investment. Your efforts will likely be appriciated next time. Some of us do care it is the small % of those others.

Did I spell everything right????

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Thats better yet, unless he is really sick (physical) than he is really sick (mental) which will cost him a fortune. Win Win at least you did the right thing.