Question from a potentially new husband/wife straight truck team

jwcolonel92

Active Expediter
My wife and I are looking to get into straight truck expediting. My wife and I both love to drive and our driving records are clean. I've been reading Phil's (ATeam) blog for quite a while. My question is how should we go about entering the industry? We want to start off driving for a fleet owner. We have the ability to get our class B CDL learner's permit simply by studying the state CDL manual. How do we go about getting our actual CDLs though since I can't find any CDL schools in the Columbia, SC area that offer straight truck training. Are there fleet owners willing to train a new husband/wife team and allow them to use their truck to take the driving portion of the CDL exam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good luck! You are starting off by wanting to drive for an owner. I can't help you with school down there. Sorry. You could check with a community college or the State Extention service.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Using the advanced search, I found numerous threads that ask & answer the question of how to take the CDL test without having to go to school. Several suggest renting a truck [but you'd need a licensed driver to rent one with airbrakes], some suggest third party test sites [may work with you to take the test, costs $100-$250], or one suggested finding a driver at a truckstop who is willing [for a fee] to rent a truck and go with you to the testing site.
My best guess is to find a third party testing facility to call and ask - if they don't help people get trucks for the test, they may know who does.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree that most states have a third party tester. Practice with a rental truck and then go to the third party tester who will have the necessary truck for your test. As mentioned, 200 to 300 should do it for a test truck.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Try school districts. They will train you and hire you so you will get experience.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In Minnesota, vendors that provide trucks for testing are allowed to advertise in the state CDL manual. Maybe the same is allowed in S.C. You might also try visiting the facility where CDL road tests are given. There may be ads on the bulletin boards. In Minnesota, if you arrive in the morning when truck road testing begins, you will likely see trucks from companies that provide them lined up waiting for the students. Those trucks will have big ads on them. Perhaps it is the same in S.C.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
When I took my CDL test to get my B w/airbrakes, I went to a school here locally that is also a testing site. Cost 150 bucks to take the test and rent the truck. (that was here in CO) I don't think SC would do testing at the DMV, so ask them where they send people for testing. (DMV workers don't generally understand CMV's)

jwcolonel92

Active Expediter
Thanks for all the great info and advice everyone. We're going to look into many of the things mentioned above this coming week.

I can't believe Phil Madsen responded to my post! :) You and Diane are like celebrities to my wife and I. We both read your blog from beginning to end. We also read many of your online documents including the one about how to get into the expedited freight business.

I hope everyone has a wonderful & safe weekend out there!

Jarhead78

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Marines
If you are a Veteran, should be a Veterans Service office in Columbia or Charleston, SC. Give them a call, they should be able to guide you in a positive direction. If not, send me a pm.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Call Sage Technical Service in Lexington SC. Talk to Tony the director of the school. They will be offering 3d party testing starting in January. Not sure about CDL B testing but you can get post 911 Benefits through their school, get your class A then rent a straight truck for your wife after she completes her written portion. SC does test at certain DMVs with an appointment. SC will be changing the drivers portion sometime in the first part of 13 and it will be more difficult to get a CDL. Need more info feel free to PM me.