Question for Hino Owners

ds1450

Expert Expediter
I drive an 06 Hino and have found that the fuel mileage is not very good. It has the 6 speed auto tranny and runs about 2100 rpm at 64 mph. I know the gearing in the rear could be better but wondering if any else has the same performance and has any suggestions. Other than that the truck rides and performs well. It is a 16' box with sleeper. thanks

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
My girlfriend and I drive an 07 Hino. The mileage isn't so bad, around 8.5 average. The issues that we have is that is has no cojones. Going up the hills, we might as well get out and push if its not going 75 down the front side of the last one. Ours has a 22' box and 96" sleeper. Great things for an expediter, just not the right engine. 280 hp is for a Geo Metro.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't drive a Hino but 2100 is screaming for a diesel. Pull back from 64 to about 60 and you should be somewhere below 2k and see some improvement. Ideally get the gears changed to drop back in rpm but keep in mind the inadequate hp will be even worse with lower gearing.

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same problem with my '07 Hino. While the mechanics at all the dealers would always rave over how sweet the Toyota engine was, it is certainly overmatched with use on an over the road platform. My old FL-70's with 250 hp CATs had more balls than the Hino. The gearing is part of the mpg problem, but they spec it that way so you can get up the hills. BTW, I sold the truck.

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Which hill is that? There have been times when we can't even get up a hill for an overpass. To me, it doesn't really matter how they have it geared. If it's not made for OTR type of freight, it needs to stay in the city where it belongs. These trucks are nothing but glorified in-town U-Haul trucks. They need to be left that way.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
280 HP should be plenty adequate for a single axle application, and what weight you are carrying.

Might want to try setting up there and driving it, stead a pok'in the cruise and kick'in back. Specially in the hills.

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Max we can haul is approx 12k. We get in the hills, we do what ya normally do. Give it some down the backside to get it goin up the front of the next. The cruise is for the flatlands. The 280 isn't much the problem, it's just that they didn't configure it in anyway for what we do. They take these city trucks--like Hinos, International 7500, and some of those Ford and GM trucks. They're great for the towns, but not the open road.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
We own several Hino's and don't have a problem with power going up hills. In fact, my Hino's have more power than my Sterling ever thought of having.

garman351

Expert Expediter
We own several Hino's and don't have a problem with power going up hills. In fact, my Hino's have more power than my Sterling ever thought of having.

We own a 07 Hinny and we had the gears changed from (4.10) to 3.90 before we bought it. Also the stock seats are no good either, we went with Balstrom's and we get a little over 10.3 Mpg. Most of our load's are around 6,000 Lbs and with better Mpg going up a hill a little slower does not matter to us because 90% of the time it's Mpg that counts for-us.

Our truck has a 102 in sleeper and this truck has been bullet proof so far at 145K miles.
Best warranty in the market and Toyota is not trying to rip off potential owners with a 11% interest rate like Freightliner either. My interest rate is 6.0% compare that at$90K for a sixty month finance with Freightliner?

Bash the Hino all you want? It's a good truck with a few changes before you buy it, it has worked out real good for us.

Garman

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Hino engine may have 280hp but it only has 565lb torque. The 250hp engine people are used to in an FL70 would have at least 650lb torque and perhaps more. At 280hp rating you'd see around 800lb torque or a little more. All else being equal having an extra 100lb or more of torque on hills is BIG.

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
I had the same problem with my '07 Hino. While the mechanics at all the dealers would always rave over how sweet the Toyota engine was, it is certainly overmatched with use on an over the road platform. My old FL-70's with 250 hp CATs had more balls than the Hino. The gearing is part of the mpg problem, but they spec it that way so you can get up the hills. BTW, I sold the truck.

It's funny... because the mechs and dealers that rave about it all over the US about how great it would be as an expediter, were the same people that were that were throwing this engine under the bus.

garman351

Expert Expediter
My girlfriend and I drive an 07 Hino. The mileage isn't so bad, around 8.5 average. The issues that we have is that is has no cojones. Going up the hills, we might as well get out and push if its not going 75 down the front side of the last one. Ours has a 22' box and 96" sleeper. Great things for an expediter, just not the right engine. 280 hp is for a Geo Metro.

I'm just wondering Critter Truckin:
Do you own the Hino or drive for somebody?
garman

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
I'm just wondering Critter Truckin:
Do you own the Hino or drive for somebody?
garman

We drive it for someone else. He's a good owner, but that's not the issue. I also posted something about these same issues in the thread 2006 Hino (at least I think that's what it's called). Those pretty much cap my frustrations... but they aren't limited to that.

Personally (and Larry don't kill me), I would rather drive an older FL 70. If something breaks, you don't have to go thru the language lesson with techs tryin to tell them what you are driving. It's simple, I would rather drive a boat that can be easily fixed or parts easily found, than something that we can't find a fuel filter for when the one we have freezes over. Basic thought, make the parts for your trucks more available, and watch the re-sale and driveability soar.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Why would I kill you? I agree with you! As long as the older FL-70 with the 3126 CAT engine doesn't belong to me. But then, we both know I'd never own one of those. ;)