Question about Tristate in Ohio

young250

Seasoned Expediter
Need help-
My husband has the opportunity to work with TriState out of Ohio. Can anybody give me a run down on how this works? They told my husband that he would need to come to Ohio and get some things installed in his truck, training, etc.

We really didn’t plan on him driving OTR…mainly just wanted to stay in the southeast states, but the person he talked to said that he would be gone for 14 days at a time.

Help!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Before doing anything else be sure to invest the time to read back a year or so in the general, newbies and recruiter forums. That doesn't mean read every word of every post. It means look for topics that answer your questions on the carrier and also for topics that increase your knowledge of expediting. This is a field that is far different than a daily dedicated run or a regional out and back run. You need to fully understand it to properly evaluate it. Tri-State is a good company with a long track record to review. They are the best choice for some people and not a good choice for some. That applies to all carriers. Do your homework before doing anything else. Good luck.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Good comapany,nice people but in the last period not enough loads for everybody...To many vans ,to many straight trucks.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like the guys at Tri State are shooting straight with you - you can't expect to make much money unless you're willing to stay out at least 2-4 weeks at a time, and Tri State goes all over the country and into Canada. If home time is a concern you might want to check into a local courier service. However, your earnings potential with those guys will probably be somewhat limited.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
In order to track the movement of a customer's freight, and provide them with real-time information regarding the whereabouts of thier freight, you will have a Qualcomm unit installed on your truck.

The truck will also require e-track to secure the cargo.

Your truck must also have a current DOT inspection.

You will need to learn how the carrier handles their paperwork so you can get paid for your loads.

Most recruiters, at all carriers, tend to paint the worst case scenario. Why? They want to elict a particular response from the prospective driver.

Will you stay out for 14 days or longer? Probably. Will this happen every week? Probably not. When the recruiter says, "You'll have to say out 14 days at a time," he is telling you that it requires committment to be successful.

Part of the learning curve is accepting freight offers to a location that has a high degree of probability for a return trip to your home area. That is how we get by the house.

I'd loved to run the southern states on a continous basis, but the reality is that the majority of expedited freight runs from the midwest (IN, OH, MI, IL) into the south. Little expedited freight moves back and forth across the southern tier of states.

As indicated by the previous posters, Tri State is a good fit for some, and not a good fit for others.

It works for me, because I live near their major freight lanes and that puts me by the house on a fairly regular basis.

They are not the largest, nor are they the smallest. I like to think of them as, "The Little Engine That Could." They just keep chugging along.