Question about running small inverter off of ford cargo van battery?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So im going to be starting in a extended ford cargo van (im not sure of the year), with no extra auxiliary batteries, so i just have a few quick questions about running power off the of the vans battery.

I have a 400 watt inverter, and when the van is not running i plan on running my Coleman mini fridge (65w), Large lasko wind machine fan (65w on medium, 115w on high, but lets go with medium), and then any cell phone or laptop charging i may need (idk the exact wattage but it cant be very much) So...

1. Can the inverter run off the cigarette lighter with the van turned off, or will it need to be turned on (but not idling)?

2. at the approx 150w, how long approximately would a van battery be able to support that wattage before id have to let it idle to charge back up?

I know these are questions with wiggle room im not looking for definitive answers, just to get a ballpark idea. thanks!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Low beam headlights are 55 watts each, so 110 watts combined. You wouldn't park the vehicle, turn off the engine and leave the lights on for several hours. At least not on purpose. ;)

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Well damn thats pretty disappointing lol, time to start looking for auxiliary batteries.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
get some solar panels, and couple of battery's mount them on frame