Question about Panther

Pearlywhite

Rookie Expediter
Driver
First off hello to all, newbie to site here and really enjoying the reading. My question is about Panthers hiring policy. I click on their name on this site and it says that they'll hire people with past suspended/revoked license, dwi/dui and even a felony. I have applied with 2 different fleet owners and everything is good with them but Panther says no. I have a misdemeanor that'll be 5 years old in May and a reckless driving that'll be 3 years old in March can someone tell me why Panther says no since I have asked them repeatedly and they will not tell me? I even ordered the Hire Right report and it has nothing on it.

Thanks
Earl

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First off hello to all, newbie to site here and really enjoying the reading. My question is about Panthers hiring policy. I click on their name on this site and it says that they'll hire people with past suspended/revoked license, dwi/dui and even a felony. I have applied with 2 different fleet owners and everything is good with them but Panther says no. I have a misdemeanor that'll be 5 years old in May and a reckless driving that'll be 3 years old in March can someone tell me why Panther says no since I have asked them repeatedly and they will not tell me? I even ordered the Hire Right report and it has nothing on it.

Thanks
Earl
First Panther does not have to tell you why they won't hire you. Matter of fact I don't think any carrier will tell you the exact reason. Second that reckless driving will fall off in March. That should help you. I would re-apply then.
I think with you having 2 situations is probably causing your problem. Also how many points do you have on your license and how many tickets have you had over the past 3 yrs?

Pearlywhite

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thanks for the info, not sure what my points are but I have the reckless in March of 13 and a speeding 9 over in March of 14. March should be a good month for me considering it's my birth month but not the last few years lol. Just looked up TN points values and in TN I have 9 points from March of 13 till now. Seems bad but it's not really considering TN doesn't even warn about suspension unless you get 12 in a 12 month period. I'm sure with a CDL it's different but where do I find out what my points are associated with my CDL?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
DMV should be able to tell you what points are on your record. Speeding within three doesn't help you but the reckless op is a killer. May have luck when it falls off in three. Maybe. As a fleet owner, sadly I wouldn't hire you even if it did fall off in three. Insurance would be too high to cover someone with that as well as the investment side of putting someone in a 160k truck that carries that risk. Sorry to say, but that is the reality of this type of business. Give it a little more time and some opportunities may show up.

Pearlywhite

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thanks for being honest about hiring me, hopefully things will look better in time, I have had my CDL since 99 with zero accidents and only the speeding ticket back in March of 14 in a CMV the reckless was in my personal vehicle. I'm a really great driver and person that just made one bad decision in my life ( married that bad decision then divorced it lol). I'll keep my head up cause I know the person I am and good things will come my way again.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
These are all considered to be serious traffic offenses by the FMCSA, and committing any 2 of them in a 3 year period results in disqualification to operate a CMV (60 upon conviction of the second, and 120 days for a third one):.
  • Speeding 15 miles per hour or more above the posted limit.
  • Reckless driving.
  • Any traffic violation, other than parking violations, that results in a fatal accident or collision.
  • Driving a commercial motor vehicle without a commercial driver license or without the proper endorsement.
  • Negligent driving.
  • Following too closely.
  • Failing to stop.
  • Failing to yield the right of way.
  • Driving too fast for conditions.
  • Improper lane change or travel.
  • Improper overtaking on the right or left.
  • Improper driving to the left of center of the roadway.
  • Texting while driving a commercial motor vehicle
  • Using a cell phone while driving a commercial motor vehicle
Offenses in both non-commercial and commercial vehicles count, but the offenses that trigger the disqualification only involve those committed while operating a commercial vehicle, or a conviction of reckless driving in either vehicle.

It's that reckless driving that's causing you way more problems that whatever felony you have (unless it's a really, really bad one or something. Like Dave said, the insurance would be too high. If a carrier has a choice between someone with a clean driving record and one that's not-so clean, they'll go with clean every time. The reason is, besides insurance costs, is that if you were to get into an accident and it's your fault, they'll go after the carrier as being reckless and negligent in hiring because they knowingly allowed someone with such evil recklessness to get behind the wheel.

Did you know that changing lanes without signaling is, in many states, reckless driving? (It's Dangerous Driving in the FMCSA BASIC). I see cops change lanes ALL THE TIME without signalling. One of my pet peeves.

Pearlywhite

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thanks Turtle for the info. I only have a misdemeanor not a felony on my record and I did go on the FMCSA website earlier and got my PSP driver report it does not show the reckless driving which I'm guessing since it wasn't in a CMV that's the reason it's not on there? It shows 6 violations 2 of which were equipment violations 1 OOS violation my elog was messed up and no paper log as back up so got put out of service. The reckless is on my DMV report. I currently have a driving job with a small company out of Knoxville TN but was looking for something with a bigger company for myself and my girlfriend that wants to team drive with me around March of this year that will hire her with no experience but has a perfect driving record. Looks like my past is holding us back.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think you'll be in much better shape when that reckless falls off in March. The speeding won't hurt you, depending on what the other violations are. A single speeding ticket doesn't raise a lot of red flags at a carrier, but a history of not adhering to the rules will. Even the equipment violations, it depends on what those were. Busted license plate light, not a big deal. But something clearly missed or ignored after the pre-trip, maybe.

Reactions: davekc

Pearlywhite

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Had 2 clearance lights on the back that were out at the time both were loose wiring on the inside of the box, just a little wiggle and they came back on, they were working when I did my pre trip. The other was I was going down Monterey Mtn in TN a little too fast and the THP gave me the choice of a speeding ticket or a seatbelt violation since I took it off before he got to the truck ( I know dumb move) so I took the seatbelt ticket. Thanks for all the answers and I'm glad I joined this forum it's been very informative.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Seat belt is fairly serious. Year 1 ( 7 x 3 Points); Year 2 (7 x 2 points); Year 3 (7 x 1 Point)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Seat belt is fairly serious.
Yeah. the days when a seat belt infraction was a minor one are long gone. For future reference, most carriers are now cancelling contracts for drivers who get ticketed for using a cell phone or texting while driving, and for no seat belt.

Even though those are driver infractions, the carrier gets hammered for them.

Reactions: morningwood

TDave

Expert Expediter
Thanks for being honest about hiring me, hopefully things will look better in time, I have had my CDL since 99 with zero accidents and only the speeding ticket back in March of 14 in a CMV the reckless was in my personal vehicle. I'm a really great driver and person that just made one bad decision in my life ( married that bad decision then divorced it lol). I'll keep my head up cause I know the person I am and good things will come my way again.

Just a fyi also it doesn't matter if you gotten the reckless op in your personal vehicle or a cmv. The laws don't distinguish the two.

Reactions: morningwood

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Do you also know bypassing an open scale is reckless operation ticket , never pass an open scale unless the ramp is really full and there is a sign telling you that!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you also know bypassing an open scale is reckless operation ticket , never pass an open scale unless the ramp is really full and there is a sign telling you that!
Something tells me somebody found that out the hard way. Lol.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In most states bypassing a scale is a Failure to Obey Traffic Signal, same as blowing by a stop sign or running a red light. A few states have a separate citation specifically for the scale houses. Oregon is like that, with a failure to stop at weigh station.

Oregon also uses video cameras at weigh stations for those who bypass them. They don't need to chase you down. One camera gets a good shot of your plate and another gets a good video of your entire vehicle. You'll get a citation for anywhere from $435 to $2,500 in the mail, and have a court appearance to deal with.

Other states may be following Oregon. I dunno.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
They told him he wasn't paying attention, hence reck less driving, it was in mississippi

TDave

Expert Expediter
In most states bypassing a scale is a Failure to Obey Traffic Signal, same as blowing by a stop sign or running a red light. A few states have a separate citation specifically for the scale houses. Oregon is like that, with a failure to stop at weigh station.

Oregon also uses video cameras at weigh stations for those who bypass them. They don't need to chase you down. One camera gets a good shot of your plate and another gets a good video of your entire vehicle. You'll get a citation for anywhere from $435 to $2,500 in the mail, and have a court appearance to deal with.

Other states may be following Oregon. I dunno.

One of my former co driver blew past a weigh station in MS not only did dot chase us down and make us go back and scale that cost him 1159.76 .....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it is a reckless op ticket on a scale, I think that can be cut down with a attorney. I wouldn't settle for that.

Reactions: Treadmill