question about class C hazmat van frieght

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Just a pretty straight forward question i couldn't figure out by searching....

When under 10k gvwr, and hauling a hazmat load, do you have to keep logs like the bigger trucks?

And if so, it would only be while under that particular load right?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When under 10k gvwr, and hauling a hazmat load, do you have to keep logs like the bigger trucks?
If the hazardous material requires placards, then you're a Commercial Motor Vehicle, same as all the others. So yes.

And if so, it would only be while under that particular load right?
As FlyingVan noted, somewhat yes. If you don't expect to run another placardable load within the next 7 days, then there's very little reason to continue logging. As you know, when you log, even if it's just occasionally, you have to account for the previous 7 days. If you run a HAZMAT load on Monday and then another one on Friday, you have to have logged any hours for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday which you worked for compensation.

Reactions: dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Oh yeah i didnt even think about the whole 70 hour rule...

But if you are technically not a commerical vehicle when under 10k hauling normal loads, how would that time be logged as far as keeping 7 previous days records?

In other words if im hauling more than 1 placcarded load within the 7 day time frame, do i basically have to run all that time with the commerical vehicle 11/14 rule? or could all loads non placced just be logged off duty?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But if you are technically not a commerical vehicle when under 10k hauling normal loads, how would that time be logged as far as keeping 7 previous days records?
On Duty (not driving), according to the definitions in 395.2, paragraphs 8 and, for us, especially paragraph 9.

In other words if im hauling more than 1 placcarded load within the 7 day time frame, do i basically have to run all that time with the commerical vehicle 11/14 rule? or could all loads non placced just be logged off duty?
The 11 hour rule, no, the 14 hour rule, yes. Because when you're not driving a CMV, even if you're on duty and working, even if you're driving a non-CMV at the direction of the carrier, it's Not Driving (because Driving only applies to CMVs), but the 14 hour On Duty rule still applies, because worked performed for compensation must be logged regardless of who that work is performed for (unless you're a part-time First Responder or a Weekend Warrior).

Having said that, you can easily get by with just showing the days between placarded loads as Off Duty, unless you have an accident while placarded, then the DOT will do an audit and they'll find you hauled other loads in that time frame (assuming you did) for compensation. To completely CYA, it's best practice to go ahead and abide by the 14 Hour Rule for 7 days after hauling a placarded load (or at least do so on paper if you're not doing electronic logs).

Reactions: dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah, ill just not take hazmat then, while i have no idea on the hazmat freight for vans market, my gut tells me its not going to double my miles, i feel like id make less per year having to always abide to those hours than i would getting the extra hazmat loads, but i really dont know.

Then again how often do i drive more than 14 hours without the load having sleep built in anyway....hmmm.......

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no chance hazmat would double your miles. They probably wouldn't even increase them by 20% in a van.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're right in that it's not going to double your miles (unless your carrier has customers that do just a snotload of HAZMAT freight). But worse, it won't pay you anything more than a regular load will, or at least not enough additionally to take on the added risk and the added hassles. It used to pay a lot more, 20-30% more, but sometimes double a regular load. Not any more, we just give that away now.

I used to regularly jump ahead of other vans on the board ahead of me, because I could haul HAZMAT, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it yielded me anywhere close to as much as 20% additional miles. I just got loaded out ahead of a few people, so maybe 5% additional miles.

Then I was with Panther for 5 years, and they wouldn't put placardable HAZMAT on a van at all, but at the same time the endorsement still got me some loads because they also wouldn't put non-pacardable hazardous material on a van if the driver didn't have the endorsement. Then I moved over to Load One where I did haul placardable loads, but only 5 of them in 4 years. Soooo, last year I dropped the endorsement. It just wasn't worth the hassle or the money to keep it, especially since so few customers are willing to pay anything above a regular rate for it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... Soooo, last year I dropped the endorsement. It just wasn't worth the hassle or the money to keep it, especially since so few customers are willing to pay anything above a regular rate for it.

Interesting. Just curious. Have the advantages of hauling HAZMAT faded for straight trucks also?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I started in a straight back in May and I only did one hazmat load so far.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk