Question about cargo van fleet owners.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know this question has been beat to death like a 200 year old horse. I am just looking for ways to earn enough money to survive within my new medical limitations. I have some good days and think about driving a cargo van again, then I have bad days and know deep down inside that it's not in my best interest to drive. I had a van purchased and orientation all set up with Bolt in 2016. I was all gung ho, ready to rock and roll and had a near nervous breakdown while driving the van home from the dealer. I took it back a week later and they agreed to take It back minus 500 dollars. I was certain that driving the van would bring on more blood clots and finish me off. I can't beat the anxiety I have knowing that the clots can come and get me whenever they want, or images of dying in some hospital many miles away from home. I was wondering if maybe becoming a fleet owner could provide me with enough money to survive and not jeopardize my physical health. I mean buying some decent vans and putting them on with a decent company. I have already been a fleet owner and made money from a good driver who stuck with me for almost a year. It was a profitable experience being leased on with a good company and a fairly decent driver. I just wonder if it can be done with several vans that will have payments on them. I would have enough money in the bank to cover payments for over a year. So, effectively I will be operating a year in advance every year. Money earned and saved this year will pay for next years bills, with last years earnings paying for this years bills. Always 12 months ahead. I also have enough credit to cover full breakdown on all trucks simultaneously.

I want to move back east and have 5 cargo vans and under to operate with a profit margin of 600 dollars a month for each van. That is an average. I am very good with saving money. I don't spend more when the money is rolling in. I will always keep the business capitalized and drivers paid on time. I have never ever had an issue with paying my drivers. I don't want to be on the hook dispatching 24 hours a day. I can't do it anymore. I need a company to do that for me while I just worry about maintaining the vans and keeping the drivers happy. I want enough cash to pay rent and survive. Not looking to be the next big company owner. I know several people have been doing it for over 10 years now. If there was no money to be made, there wouldn't be people still doing it. I have a friend who can do work on the vans cheap and I can even do some repairs. Right now I'm working 12 hours a week as a cleaner and barely hanging on. I need a way to earn money even on bad days. I can't get disability because they say I'm exaggerating my symptoms and not as bad as I say. So, other arrangements need to be made. Are there any fleet owners our there with 5 and under cargo vans that are averaging at least 600 a month on each vehicle? I'm just curious. This is not a troll post. It's not meant to start an argument. A lot of expediters have started out working for fleet owners before going out on their own. I was one of them. Good fleet owners play a vital role in the expedite community. They allow newbies to get their feet wet with minimal financial risk. I'm looking to hear from any current fleet owners.

Reactions: Grizzly and RedBird

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
You've been doing this for a while now and maybe a long time. You know what works and what doesn't. You know the van market is tough. Either get in and just do it or get out all together. By reading your post sounds like your heart is in this business.

Reactions: blizzard2014

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not a fleet owner, but if you used 20% of the gross per van. That might be a workable number for net income. Having one years worth of operating funds is good. Going to be lots of variables.

Reactions: blizzard2014

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not a fleet owner, but if you used 20% of the gross per van. That might be a workable number for net income. Having one years worth of operating funds is good. Going to be lots of variables.

There are always variables in any business. I learned that waiting for the right driver is better than just putting any joe blow in the van. It's the driver who can make or break you in this business. I'm still going to attempt to drive at lease once before I go fleet owner. I know I can make 1500 a month take home as a part time expediter. I might rent a van this year and drive it back east just to see how I tolerate it and how long I can drive. Then I will make a decision. I also thought about buying a tractor or two and getting my own loads from CH Robinson and a few other places with drivers in the trucks.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You've been doing this for a while now and maybe a long time. You know what works and what doesn't. You know the van market is tough. Either get in and just do it or get out all together. By reading your post sounds like your heart is in this business.
Having the experience is key. I know what parts of the van to replace before they go out to prevent breakdowns on the road, what tires to use, oil, how all of the various different companies operate. I know now that a good ranch hand cattle guard bumper is needed on all vans, because one deer hit can put you out of business, or put the van out of commission for weeks. Spending to get the bumper is cheaper then having a deer decide whether or not your business goes under.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know now that a good ranch hand cattle guard bumper is needed on all vans, because one deer hit can put you out of business, or put the van out of commission for weeks. Spending to get the bumper is cheaper then having a deer decide whether or not your business goes
Do you know that putting one on a Sprinter or other unibody van, will likely total the van in the case of a deer hit? Instead of the collision parts up front absorbing the impact, a guard transfers everything directly to the body's frame.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know now that a good ranch hand cattle guard bumper is needed on all vans, because one deer hit can put you out of business, or put the van out of commission for weeks. Spending to get the bumper is cheaper then having a deer decide whether or not your business goes
Do you know that putting one on a Sprinter or other unibody van, will likely total the van in the case of a deer hit? Instead of the collision parts up front absorbing the impact, a guard transfers everything directly to the body's frame.

Yeah on some vans it does. I would only use it on the Chevy or ford regular vans.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So a unibody frame can't take the hit of a deer? Treadmill just told me to read this post when I was asking about putting a deer gaurd on a promaster.

Reactions: Solar

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So a unibody frame can't take the hit of a deer?
Or a golden retriever. Or even a mean tumbleweed.

Crash parts up front are designed to absorb the impact of a collision. When those parts are bypassed, one hundred percent of the impact gets passed directly to the body frame, which isn't at all designed to withstand that kind of stress. When a unibody is impacted, it twists and collapses, folds like an accordian. You can't fix that.

Traditional body-on-frame vehicles face a frame that is much thicker and sturdier and can handle those kinds of impacts better. But more importantly, if the frame gets bent it can be straightened out. Can't do that with a unibody.

Where I delivered last night there was a brand new XPO Promaster with an awesomely gnarly looking deer guard. I mean it was sweet. Wrapped around and looking mean Hope he doesn't hit one, tho.

I think the Nissan is not a unibody. I think the Ford Transit is, but I honestly haven't looked into it, so I'm not sure. I know the Sprinters and Promaster are unibody.

Reactions: Solar

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So a unibody frame can't take the hit of a deer?
Or a golden retriever. Or even a mean tumbleweed.

Crash parts up front are designed to absorb the impact of a collision. When those parts are bypassed, one hundred percent of the impact gets passed directly to the body frame, which isn't at all designed to withstand that kind of stress. When a unibody is impacted, it twists and collapses, folds like an accordian. You can't fix that.

Traditional body-on-frame vehicles face a frame that is much thicker and sturdier and can handle those kinds of impacts better. But more importantly, if the frame gets bent it can be straightened out. Can't do that with a unibody.

Where I delivered last night there was a brand new XPO Promaster with an awesomely gnarly looking deer guard. I mean it was sweet. Wrapped around and looking mean Hope he doesn't hit one, tho.

I think the Nissan is not a unibody. I think the Ford Transit is, but I honestly haven't looked into it, so I'm not sure. I know the Sprinters and Promaster are unibody.
Very good info thanks. I'll definately use those wind whistle things. It's debatable if they work or not but there has been quite a number of times deer were on the edge of the road and just stood there when I had them. Not 100% but I think makes a difference.

Anyway, how do you feel about installing a front trailer hitch to put a generator on? I guess if it hits something head on it could cause frame damage. Unless there's somewhere else to attach it to but I doubt it. Thoughts?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Very good info thanks. I'll definately use those wind whistle things. It's debatable if they work or not but there has been quite a number of times deer were on the edge of the road and just stood there when I had them. Not 100% but I think makes a difference.

Do Car Deer Whistles Work?

Deer horn - Wikipedia

Best evidence is they don't work. Deer get acclimated to road noise, including deer whistles, and quickly decide its not a threat. But go talk to any random body shop guy. They'll tell you if it works or not. ;)

Best way to avoid deer strikes is found exactly what you think you should do: slow down at night, especially when around deer crossing signs, and when you see one deer there are likely more close by so slow slow down.

Anyway, how do you feel about installing a front trailer hitch to put a generator on?
Personally, I think there is enough stress on the front wheels and suspension and ball joints already without adding any additional weight up there. But I know a lot of people who have had them up front and they didn't seem to notice any increased frequency of repairs of that type. If I were to do that, I'd probably get one for the rear using one if those swing out hitches that move out of the way to open the rear doors. But I think realistically that's gonna be more of a personal preference.

Reactions: Solar and Grizzly

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since 1998, when I started expediting, I've only struck 3 deer. (Although ran over several more previously struck laying DOA on the road)

Two were hits from the left side doors and the third was front passenger headlight assembly. (All interstate hits)

When you consider how many miles you'll drive and exactly what the odds are the deer will hit exactly where your expensive "protective guard bumper" is it doesn't seem like much protection.

Me personally, I would rather save the cash and use it for the insurance deductible.

Unless you want the "guards" installed to impress other drivers. That's probably a 'better' reason.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah I'll stay away from it then. Now I gotta debate putting a generator mount on the front or back. Appreciate it guys.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know what your saying having medical issues and trying to make a living is not easy i m in the same boat hell making a living was hard enough when i was just plain lazy and had no medical issues.

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Good driver's are so difficult to find these days. Most of the good ones are owner ops....or have been secured by a good owner for a while .

I've considered buying a couple more vans while still running as an owner op.....but I have issues trusting people to operate what I own. All because I hear horror stories from some friends who are fleet owners.

Something else to think about, you can still be sought after civilly if your contract driver kills or injures someone. Having an LLC would help protect from it like I do....but contrary to popular belief and my attorney.....it won't protect you completely.

Just food for thought.....good luck to you.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI,

I thought I would throw this out there in case it helps you ...

I was in good shape and then I started noticing that when I walked on side hills that my ankle would want to "roll over" .... I thought it was because my boots were too loose so I tightened them up ..... same problem afterwards tho...

Long story short ... I had a pinched nerve in my back (ironically my back did NOT hurt...stiff maybe but not painful) causing me not to be able to control my otherwise strong legs ....

I was put on streoids for nerves in my back and all got well after a bit ....

Good luck