Queen is 2nd longest

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm suprised EnglishLady hasn't posted this yet. :rolleyes:

Queen Elizabeth becomes UK's second-longest reigning monarch
ShareretweetEmailPrint– 1 hr 56 mins ago

LONDON (Reuters) – Queen Elizabeth surpassed George III on Thursday to become the second-longest reigning British monarch in more than 1,000 years of history.

Only Queen Victoria -- whose relatives and descendants make up a who's who of European royalty across the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries -- spent more time on the throne.

The 85-year-old Elizabeth II, who acceded to the throne on February 6, 1952, has now ruled for 59 years and 95 days, more than every other monarch bar Victoria in more than 1,000 years of British history when leap-year days are included.

The longevity of her reign pushes George III, who was king from 1760 until 1820 during the period that the United States won independence from Britain, into third place.

George suffered from mental illness in the latter part of his life which was documented in the successful film "The Madness of King George."

Buckingham Palace said there would be no celebration to mark the occasion. "It's business as usual," a spokesman said.

The queen, who celebrates her diamond jubilee next year, will become the longest reigning monarch in September 2015.

Last month, Prince Charles, 62, broke the record for spending the longest time as heir-to-the-throne.

(Reporting by Michael Holden, editing by Paul Casciato)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
LOL :D

Thank you for posting this .......

I guess I thought ppl would not be intersted in the Monarchy ....especially just after THE wedding :D:p

btw .... Long may Charles stay OFF the throne - I think I can safely say that the majority of ppl in the UK would rather see William on the throne next.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Long may Charles stay OFF the throne - I think I can safely say that the majority of ppl in the UK would rather see William on the throne next.

The Royal Throne . . . :eek:

His+Majesty%27s+Throne+%22Prince%22+Potty+Chair.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL :D

Thank you for posting this .......

I guess I thought ppl would not be intersted in the Monarchy ....especially just after THE wedding :D:p

btw .... Long may Charles stay OFF the throne - I think I can safely say that the majority of ppl in the UK would rather see William on the throne next.
I remember a time there was a small notion for Elizabeth to abdicate..while Charles was a younger version...he WAS popular back when...Then William just melts hearts over there...There is a good chance Charles may never see the crown...the Queen is in good health right now...

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I remember a time there was a small notion for Elizabeth to abdicate..while Charles was a younger version...he WAS popular back when...Then William just melts hearts over there...There is a good chance Charles may never see the crown...the Queen is in good health right now...

The Queen made a vow when her father died that she would always serve her ppl as long as she lived.

There is no way she would have, or will abdicated.

Hopefully her advisors have put her in the picture as far as Charles' popularity goes.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be awesome wouldn't it
(just as long as it wasn't Charles' of course :p)

I wasn't even a twinkle at the time of the Queen's Coronation :D
One thing..the crown could never get past his ears...LOL

amazing we both have been "Americanized" but can't quite shake the Monarchy...it must be in the genes...lol

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
He is not quite say "photogenic"? LOL

Even when he was younger - come to think of it the ears were worse then :rolleyes:

You used MUM...she's a Brit I take it?

Yes, all my family is in England.

My grandmother was less then impressed when I married the "girl in the box" from America.....

:p
:D