Quarterly Filing

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have always been under the impression that you had to file quarterly estimated taxes. I have been hearing several truckers at truck stops lately that say that they never file that way and have never been charged penalties, late fees etc. It sounds funny to me. Am I right? My C.P.A. says I have too. layoutshooter

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have always been under the impression that you had to file quarterly estimated taxes. I have been hearing several truckers at truck stops lately that say that they never file that way and have never been charged penalties, late fees etc. It sounds funny to me. Am I right? My C.P.A. says I have too. layoutshooter

hI Layoutshooter,

Truthfully, if you had to pay taxes in the prior year, Yes, you must file estimated taxes,
as a matter of fact you are suppose to pay 98% of the taxes owed as estimated taxes for the upcoming tax year, meaning 2007 if you did not file, If you did not file any this year for next tax filing year 2008, you will have to pay a penalty,

Believe or not they might not realize that they really had to pay a penalty, on the 2007 tax return, and prior years, it has always been there, the penalty it not a lot, approx 1-5% of the tax owed.

You will find in on the 2006 tax return either on line 76, 0r 77,
It is on Line 77 on the 2007 tax return, ESTIMATED TAX PENALTY.

If the person who prepared these drivers taxes, What this means that they really did not check the tax return copies they were given for there records. and did not question why this entry was on this line. Now you know, and everyone knows. Make time to check your return before you leave the tax preparer office.

EVEN IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR CPA, EA, OR TAX PREPARER PUTS ON YOUR RETURN, YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO ASK QUESTIONS OF WHERE IS WHAT?, AND WHAT IS THIS?. AND HE HAS TO TAKE THE TIME TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR!.

When I complete a tax return and it is ready for pick or if I have to mail it out of state, I try and send it to the truckstop where the driver will be the next day. I will fedex it to them so they have it, That way they can check out the return, and if they have questions, they can either e-mail me or call me to find out why this is where it is or why this or that. I explain exactly how I completed the return to them before it is filed.

You have to remember "ONCE YOU SIGN THE RETURN WEATHER IT BE BY ACTUAL SIGNATURE,OR ELECTRONICLY, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE, NOT THE PERSON WHO PREPARES THE RETURN".
He can only go by what you give him and how you provide the information so he can correctly put the items in the correct lines.

The only problem with telling you what you have to pay is that they most of the time do not include some deductions for the estimated tax payment, LIKE THE PER DIEM ALLOWANCE, WHICH IS ONE OF THE LARGEST ONE. SO IT YOUR OUT 28 DAYS A MONTH
THATS $ 1,456 x 80%- $ 1165.00 PER MONTH LESS THAT WHAT YOU ARE TOLD TO PAY.

If you really do not have the estimated amount to pay, Don't pay it, you will just have to pay the whole thing at the end of the year come tax filing time. and then if you do not have the total amount , you go on the installment plan, but that is around 6% per quarter (24% per year(right now)) compounded daily on the unpaid balance, plus 1/2 of 1% compounded daily Also.you are charged penalties on top of penalties and interest on top of interest. it is very difficult to estimate what you will actually owe the IRS after 1 year of making Minimun Payments of $100.00 per month. on a $5000.00 tax bill. That $5000.00 could turn into $15,000 in 3-5 year if not paid at all.

So, If anyone else would like to ask me a question please do not hesitate to ask, that is what I am here for. I check all e-mails and post information weekly as I can as I recieve the updates in the tax laws.

I HAVE A NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS [email protected]

Thank you

Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB
Franks Tax & Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934
File Your Return Online

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matters addressed herein.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the answer. I can normally smell B.S. pretty well and it smelled like that to me but I am not good on taxes. That is why I need a C.P.A. Sometimes I just need re-assured I am doing it right. Layoutshooter

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now i am confused as I pay my taxes quartely

yes im a 1099 yes I pay quartely like I have for the last 3 years.

If I wrong then tell me. Now as u said I was told as well that Id get charged a penelty for not paying quartley.

If I have been doing it wrong please do tell.

if not I will stay the course.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
If you want to stay out of trouble with the IRS and avoid waving red flags at them....pay your quarterly taxes and all others ON TIME!!! Trust me I know from experience...right Frank??

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FJK 1954 You are correct in your answer, I did his taxes and they got him for sure, I warned him, but as I have said before, Pay those quarterly taxes, then you will not have to lay out the $$$$$$$$$$$ when the return is complete. it only hurts a little if you do it quarterly,

But you have to remember this. when your CPA, EA, or Regular Tax Preparer give you a figure, he probably does not include the Per Diem allowance, or the Social Security Tax that you will have to pay,

I had a cleint who paid roughly $2500 per quarter, thats $10,000 in estimated taxes,

but he did not tell me he was on FEMA, So he had to pay another 10,000 in social security tax.

Make sure your accountant when he tells what to pay quarterly he deducts the Per Diem and adds the Social Security tax to it.

Franklin Katz, ATP,PA, CPB
Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934

Circular 230 Ruling: Compliance

This email (including any attachments) contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION protected by federal and/or state law and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(is) designated as recipient(s). The information contained within this email should not be construed as tax advice. If you are not an intended recipient of the email, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. Disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient does not constitute a waiver of any applicable privilege. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify us by phone at (704) 739-4039 or by email at [email protected] and then permanently delete the original and any copy of this email (including any attachments) and destroy any printout thereof.