Qualcomm: A word of advice

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
A few things I feel need to be shared by o/o and drivers alike.
1. These units are expensive. Bear this in mind when you are slamming it on the floor or beating the scanner on your steering wheel hoping to make it function properly.
2. You are responsible for this equipment for as long as you are in or own the truck. See number 1.
3. If the unit is damaged due to any sort of mishap, this includes the satellite and cables,
Do yourself a favor and do an accident report on it. Take lots of pics and get signatures from all parties involved.
4. Protect yourself as well as the equipment. When you get a unit replaced at the shop, no matter how trivial it may seem, take a photo of the new unit and document it's condition before accepting it. Then have the document signed and dated.
Bottom line, here, is that when it comes down to money your word means nothing.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Is this the voice of experience talking, sounds like you had some bad luck with one.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Good sound advice to me. We do the same thing when we pick up rental trailers or anything that is in our possession and that we are responsible for.

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Yep..and they are handy. I usually scan in my paperwork before leaving the receiver's property.

That's Great we have always had a scanner/printer in the truck because its useful and both Panther and e-1 we could scan to trans flo/ Trip pak but it will be nice to have the option to send straight to Load 1

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cherokee: it's not an option, lol - if you don't scan the BOL [immediately, or as soon as possible], you won't get paid for the load.
The good news is that scanning is a breeze, and only takes a minute, so no reason not to do it.
The better news is that Turtle posted a link once that you can use to install the Docketport program on your computer, and scan to it as well. I send every BOL to both places, and it has saved my butt once, when a BOL was deemed 'illegible' by the office. I printed out a copy for them, and it was much better. Then I cleaned and recalibrated the scanner, and I don't forget to do it once a month or so anymore.
:eek:

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Cherokee: it's not an option, lol - if you don't scan the BOL [immediately, or as soon as possible], you won't get paid for the load.
The good news is that scanning is a breeze, and only takes a minute, so no reason not to do it.
The better news is that Turtle posted a link once that you can use to install the Docketport program on your computer, and scan to it as well. I send every BOL to both places, and it has saved my butt once, when a BOL was deemed 'illegible' by the office. I printed out a copy for them, and it was much better. Then I cleaned and recalibrated the scanner, and I don't forget to do it once a month or so anymore.
:eek:

No problem we usually scan them everyday anyway (or every load) Do you have any idea where that link from turtle is? that could come in handy. We usually keep the hard copies for a month or more anyway but if i can get good scans then maybe we can toss them out :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yikes, Rocketman - I bought a similiar model almost 10 years ago, and it cost about half that much!
I thought tech gets cheaper as it becomes more commonplace? The Proscan was cutting edge back then, lol.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Okaaaay then. Can you do something useful [ducking for cover] and post the link for the Docketport scanner? Because I'm too technotarded to do it, lol. ;)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Actually...you may have to get Turtle to do that. I'm not sure where to find it. I never used it myself....sorry. :(

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dude: the guy who comes onboard & fixes a broke toilet on day 1 doesn't have to apologize for nuthin, ever, lol.
I looked through 7 pgs of threads without finding it, so I guess we wait for the Shelled One to bail us out.
He'll do it - who doesn't like to show off?
;)

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Dude: the guy who comes onboard & fixes a broke toilet on day 1 doesn't have to apologize for nuthin, ever, lol.
I looked through 7 pgs of threads without finding it, so I guess we wait for the Shelled One to bail us out.

Well thanks for tryin :) We are in need of you help TURTLE! TURTLE! (Sorry couldn't resist that one...)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually...you may have to get Turtle to do that. I'm not sure where to find it. I never used it myself....sorry. :(
I've never used it, either, actually. I have a Canon scanner/copier/printer in the truck, so when I scan something into the computer, that's what I use. But it's nice to know that if something happens to the Canon I can use the DocketPORT in a pinch.

But the model is the DocketPORT 465Q (far as I know they're all the same, but if yours is different, it'll have a different number on it). It is also 100% identical to the Pentax (also branded as Brother) DSmobile 600 scanner (which you can buy at Amazon for $159.95 or from Best but for $10 cheaper, although I have no idea why you'd do either, however knowing more about it gives you better ammunition to track down updated drivers from different sources, if necessary).

The DocketPORT Drivers and Download Page is here: DocketPORT Drivers & Downloads
The 465 Driver is under the "5 Series" heading.

The DocketSCAN II scanning software is on the same page.

The DocketSCAN II User Guide is not on that page for some reason, but you can download it here:
http://www.docketport.com/DocketPORT/Documents/DocketScan II User Guide.pdf

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We actually ASK (supposed to be policy hint hint) that our drivers scan the paperwork as soon as it is delivered and signed for. Two reasons, one we can get it in and get it processed for your pay and it keeps workload for admin steady. The second is the most important. We are able to tell and sell our customers as to providing them the fastest pod's in the industry. As soon as the paperwork is scanned in and received the customer gets an email notification and link to it. Part of trying not to selling on price had to be superior service, customer service and technology.