putting things into perspective

hill_top

Expert Expediter
After reading about noise at truck stops, not wanting to wait for loads because of the heat, the smells at truck stops, etc. etc. I got an e-mail from a friend that helped to put things in a better perspective for me, maybe it'll help some of you to.

YOU and HE

Your alarm goes off, you hit the snooze button and sleep for another 10 minutes
He stays up for days.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.
He goes days or weeks without running water.

You complain of a headache and call in sick.
He gets shot at, as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

You put on your anti-war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends. He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

You make sure your cell phone is in your pocket.
He clutches the cross hanging on a chain next to his dog tags.

You talk trash on your buddies that aren't with you.
He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

You walk down the beach, staring atall the pretty girls.
He walks the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

You complain about how hot it is.
He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong. He does not get to eat today.

Your wife makes your bed, and washes your clothes.
He wears the same things for months, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

You go to the mall, and get your hair redone.
He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

You are angry because traffic delayed you some today.
He is told he will be held over an extra 2 months.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for that night.
He waits for mail-call to see if there is a letter from home.

You hug and kiss your loved one like you do everyday.
He holds his letter close and tries to smell her perfume on the letter.

You roll your eyes as ababy cries.
He gets a letter, with a picture of his newborn, and hopes he makes it back home, to hold and kiss it.

You criticize your goverment, and say that war never solves anything.
He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own goverment and remembers why he is fighting.

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of the men like him.
He hears the gunfire and bombs.

You see only what the media wants you to see.
He sees the bodies lying around him.

Your are asked to go to the store. You don't.
He does what he is told.

You stay at home nad watch TV.
He takes whatever time he is given to call or write home, sleep, or eat.

You crawl into your bed, and try to get comfortable.
He crawls under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be woken by gunfire.

You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse place because of men like him.
IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE MEN LIKE HIM.

G

God Bless our Service Men and Women.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
This was a nice post to read. A visual perspective with no doubt would have to be The Heroes Truck. I can't tell you how many times I've not visited the truck because I thought it was just another truck. But, was I wrong. This year at the Expo I spent about 15 minutes and a complete roll of film so my son could see it. My original reason was just because it was a shiny truck. But, as I looked through the camera viewer and snapped away and listened to Sgt Malone blaring from the speakers, I was taken over with emotion. This truck pays tribute to every division of the armed services in addition to noted politicians, historical peacekeepers everyday heroes and momuments dedicated to our freedom.

I was suprised at my own emotion as it brought tears to my eyes and left me unable to speak.

If you ever get the opportunity to see it, don't let it pass you by.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thank you for posting this.. and as Coco said, I at first thought the Hero truck 'just a shiny truck'.. upon closer exam, it's a great tribute.

attached are a couple close ups.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Well said by all of the above. The Heros' truck was an outstanding pictorial and audio reminder of so many of the people places and things, past and present, that make the USofA the nation it is today. This is a must see, should you ever have the opportunity

G

gregmcclain911

Brother, it could not be put any better than that!
Thank you for getting everyone back in line and to focus on what really does matter.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse
>place because of men like him.
>IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE MEN LIKE HIM.
>

Personally, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the men AND women in our American Armed Forces. They have a most difficult and dangerous job.

For our alleged leaders who have put them in harm's way with distorted facts and twisted ideology, I have only disgust. IF ONLY WE HAD FEWER PEOPLE LIKE THEM.

Rex

hill_top

Expert Expediter
Dreamer, I have often heard of the hero's truck, but have never seen it. Thank You for the pics. What a great truck indeed.

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
Amen there hill_top. Got a brother over there in iraq now and two sons in other parts of the world serving in the military.
The things we complain about definetely pale in comparison stacked up to what our service men and women are expreiencing in the middle east right now.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
TWISTED IDEOLOGY??????????????????

Oh yes, surely you must be talking about a culture that is bent on destroying everyone that does believe as they do. Over 4000 years ago it was written: Gen 16:11, 12 "And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren."

Need I tell you who Ishmael represents?

We allow others to come to our country and establish their cultural and religious values. If I were to pass out any religious literature in Iran, Syria, Indonesia, etc. I could be beheaded. Now there is a twisted ideology.

Harm's way? Over 42,000 people are killed every year on America's highways. A very high percentage of those who die are the victims of drunk drivers. I hope to read you letters to the beer, wine and liquor producers for putting these folks in Harm's way. Considering that less than 2600 soldiers over the course of three years have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom I would think that your facts are distorted and skewed.

Our church of about 200 folks has three active duty members on the ground in Iraq. Every one of them would rather be at home; of course, who wouldn't? None of them personally, and their fellow soldiers collectively, believe that our presence is the result of misinformation. NOT ONE OF THEM!

I think your political ideology can be easily summed up in one word; duh! Yes, that's it; you subscribe to duh ideology.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>Need I tell you who Ishmael represents?
>

"George Bush" would be my guess. He used WMDs (Words of Mass Deception) to facilitate his ill-advised expedition into Iraq to
search for Saddam's WMDs (Weapons of Mass Destruction).

Which lie is the worst? The one that came about as the result of a bodily fluid stain on an intern's dress, or the ones that have resulted in the bodily fluids of 2600 American Armed Forces personnel staining the sands of Iraq?

>
>I think your political ideology can be easily summed up in
>one word; duh! Yes, that's it; you subscribe to duh
>ideology.
>

Actually, my politics are pretty much "middle of the road".
The shrill screeching of the alleged Conservatives is as annoying
to me as the whining of the so called Liberals.

Both are extremist in their views and I think that our Country is much the poorer in the long run because the real issues that should be important are given short shrift to satisfy ego and pander to extremists blocs.

David, as you have brought religion into this, I should mention that I am a Dyslexic Agnostic Insomniac.....I lay awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog. I have no use for religious extremists either, I care not if they wave a Bible, a Torah or a Koran. All extremists are so certain that they are right that they will allow no discussion that does not agree with their dogma.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." Thomas Jefferson

Rex

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I believe your screen name "Road To Ruin" speaks for itself. Sorry life has made you so bitter.

We live in the most prosperous and safe nation on the planet.

You might ask yourself why. I am not waving anything, but I will use the historical aspects of the Bible as documentaion.

The King James Bible was published in 1611 and a mere nine years later it came with the Pilgrims to Plymouth Rock. Read the history of the Mayflower Compact. They signed it on top of the KJB 1611. America has experienced the Blessing of God because it started as a Christian nation.

Other nations have great natural resources and wealth, but their citizens live in poverty. Go to Rhodesia, a country that has tremendous natural resources, and you will see the bulk of its population living as they were 200 years ago.

I am passionate about the truth and if that makes me an extremist, so be it.

Aviator

Expert Expediter
>Personally, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the
>men AND women in our American Armed Forces. They have a most
>difficult and dangerous job.
>
>For our alleged leaders who have put them in harm's way with
>distorted facts and twisted ideology, I have only disgust.
>IF ONLY WE HAD FEWER PEOPLE LIKE THEM.
>
>
>Rex

You might talk differently if you were over here. The overwhelming majority of the troops here understand why we are here. But I can tell by your pst, you are not the type person to let facts get in the way.

Aviator

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>I believe your screen name "Road To Ruin" speaks for itself.
>Sorry life has made you so bitter.
>

David, if I were any happier with life, in general, there would likely be a law against it. My screen name "rode2rouen" is simply a pun based on "road to ruin". At the time it occurred to me, I found it to be amusing.

>
>Other nations have great natural resources and wealth, but
>their citizens live in poverty. Go to Rhodesia, a country
>that has tremendous natural resources, and you will see the
>bulk of its population living as they were 200 years ago.
>

Rhodesia ceased to exist in April, 1980, when it became Zimbabwe, but I think I understand the point you're trying to make. I ask you to try to understand the point I'm trying to make: I think that our government is wasting not only vast sums of money, but vast numbers of our American Armed Forces personnel in Iraq as the result of the Bush crowd's obsession with Saddam. These wasted resources, I submit, could be used, in part, to help raise the standards of living for many poor people in our Country.

September 11,2001 was a terrible day for America and the perpetrators must be brought to justice. The fact of the matter is that none of the perps had any ties to Saddam (in fact, most were tied to Saudi Arabia) and the Iraq war has brought Osama Bin Laden and his thugs no closer to the justice they so richly deserve. If anything, the Iraq war has lessened the focus on Osama, which I find distressing.

>
>I am passionate about the truth and if that makes me an
>extremist, so be it.
>

I guess in that sense, I am an extremist as well.

Rex

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>You might talk differently if you were over here. The
>overwhelming majority of the troops here understand why we
>are here. But I can tell by your pst, you are not the type
>person to let facts get in the way.
>
>
>Aviator

Mr. Foster, (if I knew your rank, I would address you properly)

Your use of "over here" leads me to believe that you are in Iraq. If that is indeed the case, please know that I wish you and your comrades in arms a swift and safe end to your duties!

I have always tried to keep an open mind and make my decisions based on facts. I would be very open to hearing your perspective, although I think that it would be better done off the EO forum. To that end, here are my 2 active e-mail addresses:

[email protected] I use this one when I'm in the truck
[email protected] this is my "home" address

Sincerely,

Rex Weaver

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Rex,

Not going to get into a long and drawn out E mail debate on the war.

I am in Afghanistan. I am working here as a civilian contrator for the State Department doing Opium Eradcation. It can be a dangerous job.

That being said, I am still in the Guard. I did 8 or so years active duty, and 10 or so Guard.

What we are doing here in Afghanistan, and working on in Iraq will hopefully create stability in this region for starters. And this region could sure use some. One of my old units is currently deployed to Iraq. I am in daily contact with those people, and a lot of other people I know over there, So I feel I am gett the straight dope on that situation.

Now I know all of you that hate President Bush think that there were lies and all kinds of things to get us into this war. I disagree. I do not think it is about oil. I am not writing this to debate the current administration. I am explaining WHY those of us over here are here.

First, you have to understand that the people we are fighting here in Afghanistan, and in Iraq, are NOT from those countries for the most part. 99% of them are foreign fighters that are looking to get into the "Jihad". They would like to kill Americans. We on the ground here understand, that if we come here, and make it easier for them to get to US, they will for the most part leave YOU in the States alone. We are giving them the chance they are looking for to kill Americans. Not Americans who are not trained, or expecting attacks, but people with the equipment and training to give em a run for their money.

The same holds true for the guys in Iraq. They know the deal as well. When my unit got the Warning order, they had more volunteers to go than they could handle. A lot of the people in the Guard wanted to get over there and help, and a lot more wanted to go BACK over there and help. I am talking about guys who have already done one tour or more. they understand. They see the appreciation of the average Iraqi. The average Afghani here is VERY appreciative of the US removing the Taliban from power here. That was a very opressive regeme.

The BIG problem is that you never see any of the good things that happen over here on the news. The things those of us that are here see every day. The new roads and briges built, the schools opened. You also do not hear about when the locals catch the insurgents setting up rockets, run them off, and call the US bases to warn us. That happens a lot here.

The people here, and in Iraq (from what my good friends tell me) are excited about their futures. What we are doing is a good thing.

I bet if you were to ask the folks from this site that have people they know deployed, or that have been deployed, they would say the person was glad they went. Thats not saying they do not complain, or gripe, or that they are not glad to be home. But the overwelming majority of the troops were glad to have been a part of it, and will go back if asked to.

The military now days is not full of people who could not make it on the outside. Even your average grunt needs to be so educated to work with the equipment they do it would make your head spin. They are not "indoctrinated". WE over here have as much access to information as you in the states do to make informed decisions. The big problem once again is that what we are seeing on the ground here, does not very often match up with what we are seeing or reading in the media.

Take the Marines that have been accused of killing the civilian in Iraq. This is a very big hot button topic for the troops. I live eat and work with them every day. They are fuming about all the negitive media over that. There have not even been any charges filed, and the guys involved have been raked over the coals in the news and by some of our polititians such as Murtha. Knowing the system the way I do, there will be a very thourough investigation, and if found guilty those people will be heavily punished. Prison for a long time. But lets wait and let the INVESTIGATION happen before we convict them.

The troops are also angry about talks of pulling out. For the reasons mentioned above, they WANT to finish this over here, and will be extremely angry about it if public pressure to end it now wins out. They see how things are really going, and understand what is at stake. If the US public pulls them out after the losses we have incurred, and not letting them finishing the job they will feel very screwed. The people I know that were in Somolia were furious about that. we would be setting up a very bad precident also. Kill a few Americans and they will go home. Leaves us very open for further attacks because people will not think there are any real consequences.

Aviator

hill_top

Expert Expediter
Mike & Cyn, an d everyone else that thanked me for the post. Your all very welcome. Mike & cyn thank you also for the pics. please tell us who is in the photo. Our men and women in uniform deserve that honor.