Putting a Isuzu diesel n Chevy cube.

takemall

Active Expediter
In the process of replacing my gas guzzling 6.0 with a Isuzu 4bd2t turbo diesel. Bought a complete bread truck that was a gm chassis. Should up my mpg to around 20 mpg from 12. What does everyone think. At least I'm not gonna use the bread trucks body...lol. Best thing about it the truck is all aluminum and I will get most of my $$ back when I scrap it.

takemall

Active Expediter
Frame rails are the same width. I'll keep everyone updated as I will be starting in the next few weeks. Isuzu rates this engine for up to 16000 gvwr.

takemall

Active Expediter
Going in a cube van with a roof wing. The bread truck was owned by a local college and weighs 1000 lbs less than the cube. Gear ratios in the rears are the same. The college maintained a mpg on
The truck and it got 26 mpg. So were figuring the extra lbs to knock off 6 mpg to be safe. Its got a overdrive tranny also.

takemall

Active Expediter
3.73 rear gear. Best thing is no ecm. Just gonna use a mechanical oil pressure sending unit. Can't use a 6 cylinder diesel because of the length.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You don't say what year the rigs is. Won't there be some wiring\computer differences. Won't that be different from a gas engine to a diesel?.

takemall

Active Expediter
Its a 2007. Changing tranny and all. Won't need the existing ecm as it only takes 4 wires to run the isuzu. I only will use the ignition system to turn on the fuel solenoid and to turn it over.

takemall

Active Expediter
I can wire the alternator by pigtailing the two outlet wires together and run it direct to the positive on the battery. Used it on other vehicles when putting v8s in 4 cyl cars. Just rev it up and it spikes the alternator to put out 13-14 volts.

takemall

Active Expediter
Had 304000 on the 6.0 gasser and started losing oil pressure and a slight knock. Always wanted a diesel in it and now I'm gonna get er done!!

takemall

Active Expediter
Most that can happen is it don't work. It'll make a nice motor home...lol...Just like all diesels I can turn the fuel up for some more power. If I need more I can put bigger injectors in it. Total cost of the donor van is 2500$. After scrapping the frame and the aluminum box I got a estimate of 1700$$. Sale my 4l80E out of my gm van for 4-500$ I won't be too far in the red. Just cross my fingers, legs and anything else I can cross. I should be rolling by mid February!!!.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the bread truck weighed 1000 less, got 26 mpg, and was aluminum, why not haul freight in it ?

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
If the bread truck weighed 1000 less, got 26 mpg, and was aluminum, why not haul freight in it ?
Bread trucks doors aren't always wide enough and that ride rough as heck. My dad was a chip delivery driver for many years and I learned that from experience lol

takemall

Active Expediter
Most have straight front axles in them with leaf spring suspension on the front. Rough ride but I guess you could put springs under the seat!!