Put a shower/toilet in? hard?

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, is it difficult to retrofit a sleeper with something like this? That toilet/shower combo I've been seeing looks pretty sweet.

I'm seeing a lot of 96" sleepers, but not many with the combo. I guess I could buy a truck and then convert it by replacing a cabinet or something, but...I have no idea what this would entail.

Anybody have a clue or have they done this?:confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ok, is it difficult to retrofit a sleeper with something like this? That toilet/shower combo I've been seeing looks pretty sweet.

I'm seeing a lot of 96" sleepers, but not many with the combo. I guess I could buy a truck and then convert it by replacing a cabinet or something, but...I have no idea what this would entail.

Anybody have a clue or have they done this?:confused:

Some would say it is easy but others would say it is a pain in the a**, I would ask have you ever worked on an RV or better yet a boat with a holding tanks and fresh water, just repairing the holding tank or replacing the freshwater tank would prepare you?

I don't know too many who have done this, actually I don't know anyone who has for a sleeper but I have done the work on my former RV and the boat I had which was a big pain - so I guess I fall under that think it is a pain crowd.

So here is my thoughts, for what it worth - think boat. If you can find someone who has done this work as a contractor (not an owner) to a boat, you will pick up some tips. The other thing that I am thinking is - fresh water supply. If you have a sink and add a toilet and shower, you will need a lot more water but remember that it has to go somewhere. Dumping may not be liked at some places if you join the RVer expediting crowd, those country clubs just don't like seeing suds all over the place..... well anywho, the holding tank will then have to be plumbs for gray and black water with the proper vents so your sink and shower drain does not smell like your toilet - understand?

I have seen a toter, Volvo 770 to be exact that had the toilet in the closet, pretty neat........ but he also has the holding tank between the rails behind the cab above the drive shaft. Would be messy if the drive shaft let loose.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it would depend on the amount of room you have. May be better to buy a sleeper with it already included.
To research, I would check some of the sleeper companies that do them.

aa or aatrucksleeper.com does small ones.
Also
Bentz
ARI
ICT
Double Eagle

Might be a few more, but these are the immediate ones that come to mind.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Attached is a photo of an owner-operator who addressed his and his wife's bathroom needs by thinking inside the box; the truck box, that is. It is a concept you might consider.

He built a bathroom, complete with a flush toilet and shower in his 24 foot truck body, leaving well over 20 feet of space for freight. Notice the storage space he built for his equipment too.

Attachments

• BigSleeper13.jpg
    BigSleeper13.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 70

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My only scare with that setup would be, sacrificing freight space, climbing in and out of the box, and concerns about freezing issues in the winter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But what happens if you need to use the facilities and you have the thing packed with a load while you are in a location where there is no place to go.....?

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, that setup is interesting; however I agree the problems with such a setup would be numerous.

UNLESS: one had access from the sleeper (a door) and not the box...

hmm.:rolleyes:

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
My only scare with that setup would be, sacrificing freight space, climbing in and out of the box, and concerns about freezing issues in the winter.

Liftgate makes the climbing easier. :D

A reefer on the go during the winter takes care of the freezing. :D

Ah ha, finally a way to justify those items when there is no other way!

Someone else mentioned about no access when the box is packed with freight... need an outside access door in the box and some way to get up there.

This could get real fun at a pickup. Husband thinks wife is at the coffee shop across the street picking up a couple to go... so gives the all clear to load the box. Only after the doors are shut does husband realize the wife is in the facilities INSIDE the box. Only way out is to remove all freight. Wheeeee! Husband faced with serious decision. :D

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Seems to me yer money'd be spent as inteligently, using a therapist to rid you of your pfobia of public places. Hell, you may find a good look'in one that wants to escape the rat race and go with you.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Seems to me yer money'd be spent as inteligently, using a therapist to rid you of your pfobia of public places. Hell, you may find a good look'in one that wants to escape the rat race and go with you.

Har har.:rolleyes: Public places? Love 'em. Now, do I like SHOWERING with the public? Not really. Don't like showering at the gym with a bunch of sweaty dudes, either. Just my personal preference.

Same with a toilet. Not so much a phobia as I'd rather have one in the truck. Not exactly exciting to spend my time in a public bathroom.

So, since I know they make toilets and showers for trucks, I must not be the only one who wants them.:)

Hey, didn't you own a truck with one in it anyways?