Pure Michigan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yesterday morning I delivered in Rochester Hills, had breakfast and got a load offer picking up in Toledo about 85 miles away. 2½ hours later I arrived at the pickup on the west side of Toledo. I-75 was packed with ice, traffic and wrecks. South of downtown the left lane wasn't even plowed.

When I hit the Ohio state line the roads were just wet and traffic was moving. How is it that the same highway can be covered in ice and by merely crossing a political boundary, the ice turns to water? I realize Ohio is further south, but...

If Michigan is that poor off financially then maybe it is time for some drastic actions. I purpose we sell Detroit to the Chinese for some glass beads and shiny rocks. Sell the U.P. to Wisconsin since it is already attached to that state. Sell the rest of Michigan to Ontario, that way the Ambassador Bridge no longer spans an international boundary and give Isle Royale to Minnesota, just because.

Attachments

• Pure Michigan I-75.jpg
    Pure Michigan I-75.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 76

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Give it to me, I can fix it! It would be a wonderful place again. There would be no problem with the roads anymore, I would tear them out. No more slums. Gone. No crime, since I would know all of the 20-30 people who would be living here! Just great hunting, great fishing and great wetlands. HEAVEN on earth!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yesterday morning I delivered in Rochester Hills, had breakfast . . .

Dang! I was in the ajoining community of Troy. Had I know you were in Rochester Hills, I would have met up with you and let you buy me breakfast.:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
PureGarbagesmall_zps871365a0.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Which now is providing a LOT of revenue in the form of natural gas. Some people's garbage is other's fuel.
My point was, the incongruity of use of the term "pure" to describe something that isn't.

It's what I think about every time I see the Pure Michigan sign at the border or on a billboard. It's hilarious.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My point was, the incongruity of use of the term "pure" to describe something that isn't.

It's what I think about every time I see the Pure Michigan sign at the border or on a billboard. It's hilarious.

It is hilarious.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was delivering to Livonia, MI on Friday afternoon (1-9-14).

Found it exactly as Moot described. Crossed into Michigan northbound from Ohio and almost immediately the left high-speed land was covered with snow and ice.

MDOT couldn't even display signage warning they couldn't remove the dangerous ice from all the lanes?

Broke-azz state. Road conditions you'd expect to find in the Ukraine.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Give it to me, I can fix it! It would be a wonderful place again. There would be no problem with the roads anymore, I would tear them out. No more slums. Gone. No crime, since I would know all of the 20-30 people who would be living here! Just great hunting, great fishing and great wetlands. HEAVEN on earth!

That's sounds like Michigan before we took it from the Indian's.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's sounds like Michigan before we took it from the Indian's.

I have been lucky enough to meet a local man, Lenard, who still has the original documents that were signed by his ancestors, when they ceded the land from north of Detroit down past Toledo to the US government. Someday those documents are going into a museum. Right now they are held by the family.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dang! I was in the ajoining community of Troy. Had I know you were in Rochester Hills, I would have met up with you and let you buy me breakfast.:rolleyes:

I was in the opposite city. We could've all met up at National Coney Island, and ran up Moot's credit card, by way of pancakes and bacon! :)

BTW, watch your step, lest you step in some pure Michigan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We live in Northwest michigan and the roads here are always horrible. Our town says they have tripled what what they spent on winter road conditions this year yet I can't figure out what it was actually spent on. Usually the mandatory winter parking lots are full of thick ice and snow. Can hardly get out at times. What a joke.