Pumpernickel does go bad

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How can you tell?
Seriously, I know it does, but it lasts longer than any white bread does. Way longer. A lot longer than my taste for it lasts, at least. [Usually till the spinach dip is gone.] :D
Bread was a big aggravation with a small fridge, having to throw half of every loaf out bugged me.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well it gets a white/light blue mold (Rhizopus stolonifer) a little slower than most breads. I just threw out a whole loaf that I made a week ago, it went bad fast for some reason, I think it was because I put it next to another loaf that was marginal.

By the way, I don't see the reason why that thread was posted in the Load-1 section and that was the reason for the response here.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Married to a Dane we know pumpernickel. Gracis is buying flat packages o p' bread.

Mestermacher is the name. Sometimes in the deli section. Smetimes in the European food section. 8 dense thin slices per package.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thats the good 'German' style stuff, it is not the same but better.

My wife can eat the American version of pumpernickel, she has a stomach problem and this is the only bread that seems not to cause her problems.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When good pumpernickel goes bad; actually just before it goes bad, cube it up with some other near bad bread varieties and turn it into croutons.

My favorite sandwich is grilled pastrami and pepper cheese on pumpernickel.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
When good pumpernickel goes bad; actually just before it goes bad, cube it up with some other near bad bread varieties and turn it into croutons.

My favorite sandwich is grilled pastrami and pepper cheese on pumpernickel.

*tossing Moot the tums*..

That sounds absolutely scumptious, but I sure wouldn't eat that right before I went to bed!:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a sad day indeed when a good pumpernickel goes bad. I can't help but wonder where I went wrong, what could I have done differently to prevent such a awful thing. We used to be so happy together, then, suddenly, it goes bad. How does that happen? I hang my head and cry.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
It's a sad day indeed when a good pumpernickel goes bad. I can't help but wonder where I went wrong, what could I have done differently to prevent such a awful thing. We used to be so happy together, then, suddenly, it goes bad. How does that happen? I hang my head and cry.

You are in urgent need of a vacation ...... :D:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
qtxjtmgn.jpg

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Where were you guys in 1962 when I needed you:confused:

Couldn't grow mold then but I can do it now without even trying. It even grew it's own thread.:D

So, who has the seeds to grow loads and have them beat on the side of your truck to get in?:rolleyes:

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wish someone would make half loaves-I throw out more bread-thinking about looking into a bread machine-maybe they make a mini.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
The other thing to do with the bread is to make a porridge from it. When Gracie comes back I will get the instructions. I think it involves cooking it down in beer.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wish someone would make half loaves-I throw out more bread-thinking about looking into a bread machine-maybe they make a mini.

I've never seen one, and I loved mine, all kinds of good bread. You could just cut the recipe in half, but the machines are not very small themselves and once you find recipes for 'apple pie' bread and honey oat nut bread, the ingredients begin taking over the cabinet space, cause you only need a bit of this & a pinch of that....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Beer and bread soup

10 slices of pumpernickel
21/2 cups malt beer---or water
1/2 lemon
1/3 cup sugar

Break bread and let soak over nite.
Cook over low heat until thick.
Flatten the lumps or if you have a colander strain thru that.
Bring to a boil adding lemon and sugar.
Stir for a few minutes.
Serve hot with whipped cream. Real whip cream not corn syrup whip cream.

Taste takes some getting used to.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
When I lived in southern California, it seemed that NO ONE knew what pumpernickel was. I asked for a sandwich made with it at a deli one day. The clerk knew not what I was talking about. I pointed to that wonderful black loaf and she said, "Oh, you mean 'squaw bread?'"