PTI's

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Do you really do one, EVERY DAY? A good friend just called me in a panic, this expierenced vet. of 30 years of driving but new to the Expediting business was in a panic cause oil pressure was so low after the truck sat for more than a week and discovered in NY City how low now his oil was.

Was in a tight spot pretty hard to find a place to sell Oil for Diesel Engines. All turned out well, but lesson to be learned is not to ignore the PTI. Everytime I get my drivers manual out I read this section over and I know what to do but this just helps me in what order as its easy to take short cuts and than forget. I am guilty of skipping some things I should not.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your story is a good example of why a quick once over is a good idea every day. Especially on a truck you're not familiar with. A 30 year vet should have known better.

pantherii

Expert Expediter
we do our pti everyday, whats 10 minutes to make sure everything is working proplerly fluids are at the right levels etc.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Your story is a good example of why a quick once over is a
>good idea every day. Especially on a truck you're not
>familiar with. A 30 year vet should have known better.

30 years or 30 days, everyone should know better. Yet, on any morning, look in any truck stop with 100 or more trucks that spent the night. You'll be lucky to see 5 drivers open their hoods to check oil, let alone doing a PTI of any sort.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
30 years or 30 days, everyone should know better. Yet, on any morning, look in any truck stop with 100 or more trucks that spent the night. You'll be lucky to see 5 drivers open their hoods to check oil, let alone doing a PTI of any sort.

====================================
Strange but true. They all have maintenance free rides.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cargodreaming

Expert Expediter
I inspect every morning and evening. Takes a whole 10-15 minutes of my time. I do the same routine everytime. I drive a New van, but that means nothing to the bolt I found in a tire a few weeks back. I was able to locate the nearest tire store from my last drop and had it fixed in about 10 minutes. A lot better than a road side repair. I am a religous about my PTI's and have been through my years of driving. As mentioned above I see other contractors where I work leave out in the morning without even checking the tires. Just jump in and go. They might be saving time , but that time adds up til one day its all dumped in your lap for over looking the small stuff in a needless road side repair or tow.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Pre Trip inspections, posting surprise I thought this was second nature,When I was in Army I drove a little, that was one thing you had to do every time you took a vehicle raise the hood check the oil,etc.
Better not get caught not doing it. Drove truck for Farm Bureau same thing, even though rule was check it beginning of run and end. Probably in case some one didn't do it, also didn't drive same truck everytime.
Logged every day if left city or not. That was a pain when you delivered to stores. I did mess up on this driving P/U for truck parts delivery, night shift guy notice some missing studs on R. frt. forgot to leave me note,he always left it fueled up. This particuler morning hurry run to Valley Truck for some parts, hit expressway over 70 m.p.h. got off exit front end felt odd took it easy developed more of a shake. Didn't have a spare short ways to Valley, called maintance guy on two way told him to bring some lug nuts missing 4, called back pretty shook said bring wrecker 4 studs missing. After that I did PTI,even on a P/U!!Doing cdl-a training PTI really pushed as second nature.
Well, just surprised me.
Tom Tinker G.R. Mi.