Pros and Cons & Thoughts CAT C7 engine

SpeedExpo8

Active Expediter
I'm in the process of buying another truck, It's a M2 business-class with a C7 engine and Eaton ultra shift. It's a expediters so I will be running long haul.

Is this a good engine??? Please tell me your experience with this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Like any engine it would depend on mileage what has or hasn't been done to it.

la90043

Expert Expediter
Also speak with 1 or 2 diesel engine mechanics on their past experience with this motor.

High/low maintenance costs? High/low labor costs? High/low parts costs. Known mechanical issues? PCM & ECM & BCM issues?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pre 2007..if the valves were adjusted properly and on schedule (and otherwise looked after)...pretty decent motor.

After 2007...like any CAT product....not good. CAT quit building truck engines for a reason.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ask Tjknight. I think his name is. He had that motor and I believe it was problems. Greasyshirt in the Truck Talk forum hates that engine too

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Cats prior to 06 were pretty good and turned to junk after that. Had many in trucks and boats and were pretty durable up to that point.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't have a CAT engine if you gave it to me. They don't stand behind their engines and they don't honor their warranties. Junk engines and disreputable company. CAT, Cheated Another Trucker.

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 3126e, and everyone said if it's so bad don't even touch it.. so far ice had 40k,miles with no issues and saved up Reserve money in,case it breaks down

Sent from my SM-N910T using EO Forums mobile app