Big Truck Pros and Cons of class C vs class D trucks.

LTM

Expert Expediter
Hi, I am thinking about getting into expediting as a solo O/O and trying to decide which truck would be best for me. And is refrigeration and lift gates really worth it in the long run. On an average are most loads below 6 pallets or not in in size? I am thinking about Fed Ex by the way. Your assistance is appreciated.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would want a D truck, because you can take a sprinter load or a C load. When I was with Fed-ex cc over 5 years ago, the reefer and hazmat was good. But that was a long time ago. I only used my lift gate a hand full of times nothing crazy and if you are a single axle it takes up some weight, if you have a reefer you will have a drop axle.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I read Class C or Class D my brain automatically interpreted it as Class 7 or Class 8 as that is the common use of Class while C unit or D unit is the common use for those, at least in my neck of the woods. That said, I'll answer the unasked question too. A Class 8 truck is probably 20-30% more expensive than a Class 7 and properly cared for will last 50-100% longer than a Class 7 when used as a D unit straight truck.

As already mentioned, you want a D unit because then you can take any and every load available provided it doesn't need special equipment or endorsements you might not have. You want all the training and endorsements you can get as well. Every possible option to make you qualified for the load is what you want.