Best options available for heat

• Generator with space heater

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DRM

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
New fleet owner- Looking to take care of my drivers- brand new ProMasters Looking for budget friendly Heating options i.e generator, Webasto, second battery inverter,insulation ideas. Looking at collapasable cot so I can haul 3 skids at all times. Any insight would be great!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For heat get an espar. In a new Van they will pay for themselves in fuel savings over the time of ownership. Not to mention your driver's will be happier and stay with you longer.

When you talk budget friendly over the long term there's not a better way to go. Less fuel burned, trucks not setting idle because drivers leave and your truck sets empty for weeks while you find new drivers.

Spray foam insulation is probably the best, myself I have fiberglass on the walls and foam board with reflectix on the ceiling and it works well.

Going budget friendly leaves an owner with empty vans which is much more costly than the correct solutions.

Last edited:

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Espar type heater is really user and owner friendly. Inverters are a plus but a Batt bank is required for heater and should be sized for minimal idling. Insulation with a cleanable covering will pay off as well in driver comfort and reduce condensation.

Reactions: ntimevan

DRM

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the great feedback! What is the cost for an espar and best places to have them installed. Can you move them from van to van?

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Any thermo king. $1250 in 2013 (gas) They installed, I built sleeper, and then they finished hoses etc.
yes you can switch van to van. Warranty and service at ant thermo king

Reactions: ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would depend on what unit you are wanting, in an open Van I would recommend a D4 or B4. For a closed bunk a 2 unit would work. I've had both.in a pretty well insulated open sprinter. Hands down the D4 was a better investment than the D2.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the great feedback! What is the cost for an espar and best places to have them installed. Can you move them from van to van?
It would depend on what unit you are wanting, in an open Van I would recommend a D4 or B4. For a closed bunk a 2 unit would work. I've had both.in a pretty well insulated open sprinter. Hands down the D4 was a better investment than the D2.
Better to have more than not enough heat. Especially when you need it.

mikemc

Rookie Expediter
For heat get an espar. In a new Van they will pay for themselves in fuel savings over the time of ownership. Not to mention your driver's will be happier and stay with you longer.

When you talk budget friendly over the long term there's not a better way to go. Less fuel burned, trucks not setting idle because drivers leave and your truck sets empty for weeks while you find new drivers.

Spray foam insulation is probably the best, myself I have fiberglass on the walls and foam board with reflectix on the ceiling and it works well.

Going budget friendly leaves an owner with empty vans which is much more costly than the correct solutions.

Can you post some pic's of how you Van is setup?

DRM

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Looks like you are pretty active on this forum- we are running our fleet through V3. Looking to add a couple more sprinter drivers pretty quickly- best place to shoot a message?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know who that was directed at ("you") but you can PM members...the Expediters Online classifieds are probably a better option than cold calling people though :)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can send a private message to any forum member. Just click their user name and then on the page that takes you to click message.